Topic

Learning Curve: Backpacking is the Great Equalizer

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Learning Curve: Backpacking is the Great Equalizer

Viewing 3 posts - 26 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Judith S
    BPL Member

@judith77

I, too, was never much of an athlete.  I don’t hike much–I’m mainly a solo wilderness paddler.  Sometimes I do short trips of 2-3 days, but mostly I go for a week.  I used to go on longer trips, but I’m 80 and I get tired.  I don’t like going with groups because then I have to keep up, haul packs that are too heavy for me, paddle longer than I want or, even worse, being fussed over because of my age and not allowed to do things I’m perfectly capable of  doing.  My gear is light and I have my own systems and ways of doing things.  Alone, it doesn’t matter how old I am, how fast I am, or how much weight I can carry over portages.  Besides, it’s  good to be alone, just me and wilderness.   If I want to spend a day lying in my hammock I can do it.  Sometimes I complete a trip as planned, sometimes I don’t.  But they are all good trips.  They give meaning to my life. We have different sports, but the same outlook.  Thank you for the great essay

Elliott Wolin
    BPL Member

@ewolin

Locale: Hampton Roads, Virginia

My motto:  Start slow, and taper off…

(and all the while enjoy birdwatching, looking for animals and tracks, botanizing, mushroom hunting, blueberry picking, picture taking, snoozing, navel-gazing, etc.)

Caroline Gould
    BPL Member

@c2go2002

“Henry Hikes to Fitchberg” – great kid’s book. Henry David Thoreau walks to Fitchberg while his friend works all day to earn the train fare to Fitchberg. Spoiler alert – Henry loses, because he dawdles the whole way.

I aspire to be a backpacking dawdler.

Viewing 3 posts - 26 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!