Topic

Layering for Mid-Sept Hike

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Layering for Mid-Sept Hike

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    John H
    BPL Member

@hogie

I usually do a section of the AT anywhere from June to Aug. However, injuries have caused me to delay my departure to mid-September and I was looking for advice on how much insulation to bring. I’m planning on hiking from the north end of the Smokies to Erwin, TN. I was planning on OR an Echo t shirt during the day with shorts. In the evening I have OR convertible pants with Patagonia Cap 4 shirt and a fleece beanie. I also have an OR Helium II for rain/insulation and a rain skirt as well as event rain mitts. I have a Patagonia R1 and a Rab Xenon as well but thought they would be overkill. My sleep system is an Exped UL 7 mat and an EE 30 degree quilt.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Tjaard Breeuwer
    BPL Member

@tjaard

Locale: Minnesota, USA

As phrased, I do not have any help for you. Perhaps you can clarify you question and maybe get better answers.

It seems to me you are actually asking 2 questions:

1. What will the weather be for the last part of September in The Northern Smokies?
    2. Will the above clothes keep me warm enough in those conditions?

I don’t know anything about #1. But you can answer some of that online. Like hours of daylight and average temperature and precipitation.

As far as # 2, that’s a tricky question:

• Do you run warm or cold compared to most? What temperature are you comfortable in with that quilt and pad?
    • What is your shelter?
    • Will you be hiking long days or spending more time in camp?
    • If weather is bad, will you bail out, push on or hunker down?

At a minimum, you need to consider those factors before choosing your gear

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools