Topic

Laxatives

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Viewing 11 posts - 26 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    Worth Donaldson
    BPL Member

@worth

1 to 3 cherry flavored prunes daily and titrate. They taste like Bing cherries and help get the job quickly with minimal cleanup afterwards. Very beneficial when the black flies are thick and you need to spritz your sphincter with DEET or squat over a smudge fire.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Too much sugar in prunes/plums for me.

BC Bob
    Spectator

@bcbob

Locale: Vancouver Island

“….The single greatest predictor of a healthy gut microbiome is the diversity of plants in one’s diet.

That’s right. Not Metamucil, not simply counting grams of fiber, but the diversity of plants in your diet. More specifically, [Dr. Rob Knight, American Gut Project] found that the consumption of thirty different plants in a given week was the greatest predictor of gut microbial diversity….”

Bulsiewicz MD, Will, 2020-05-12, Fiber Fueled: The Plant-Based Gut Health Program for Losing Weight, Restoring Your Health, and Optimizing Your Microbiome.

Chris FormyDuval
    BPL Member

@chform

Locale: RTP

I tend to bring a chili dinner for night two or three to keep things moving. Just fyi, something about the water in Yellowstone kept things moving all by itself.

Brad P
    Spectator

@brawndo

After taking MoviPrep last night and this morning, I can’t imagine taking a laxative daily without a doctor giving a very good reason.

Jeff Y
    Spectator

@ogilybogil

Brad,

Good luck on your colonoscopy :)

Brad P
    Spectator

@brawndo

Jeff,

Home and relaxing. All good.  :)

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

“After taking MoviPrep last night and this morning, I can’t imagine taking a laxative daily without a doctor giving a very good reason.”

Taking a daily laxative is nothing like taking MoviPrep, really not even close (if taken properly). It simply helps things move along a bit easier and cleaner, at least for me.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

@bcbob: Eating plants is a great thing, I agree, which is why I do. Perhaps not the variety that you eat, but I do eat a variety in varying amounts, and enjoy them all.

Pedestrian
    BPL Member

@pedestrian

” (if taken properly)”

Let’s just leave it at that! ;)

Steve Thompson
    BPL Member

@stevet

Locale: Southwest

I carry a few Bisacodyl tabs just in case, but haven’t needed a laxative at home or on the trail for 30 years.   Eating better seemed to fix things.

Viewing 11 posts - 26 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools