Topic

Late season JMT hike, tips?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Late season JMT hike, tips?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Luke C
    Spectator

@paylasoutdoors

Hey all, this is my first post! Stoked to join the BPL community!

I have a permit to hike the JMT this fall, starting Sep 29th. I am aware that most, if not all resupplies will be closed by then, however I was planning on having friends and family hike food in to me anyway. This is my first thru hike. I am however experienced in the outdoors, and have done late season trips before, however, only a few miles in, and knowing the weather will be good. I am aware of the high chance of snow, but hopefully it doesn’t stick.

What I am looking for is knowledge from people who have extensive late season experience, and knowledge of the area. Really, how cold should I be ready for? Should I bring microspikes? Can I use my jetboil, or do I need an alchohol stove? Water supplies? What are some items you wish you had that you didn’t on your late season trip? Any helpful suggestions? I am open to any and all advice.

I am aware that going at an earlier time would be ideal, and that is something I am open to if the weather says no as the start date approaches. But for right now, I am planning as if I am going, and want to be prepared, yet not overpacked. I am a very strong hiker and can comfortably carry a 50-70lb pack if need be, but I should be lighter than that.

If you have questions about my gear, let me know. I am looking for a pair of lightweight, warm gloves that will stop wind, so suggestions there are welcomed.

Please, any and all advice is welcomed. Say the things that seem super obvious to you. I think I have a good idea of what I need, but I never want to be so sure of myself that I can’t admit to being wrong or learn/build on my knowledge.

Thanks in advance,

Luke

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

You can check historical temperatures in sierra on cdec website.

It was 26F on whitney aug1 for me. High elevations routinely see 30-35 in july.

It can snow anytime. In 2014 it dumped 2′ on Whitney aug 2. Day  after i finished.  It stuck around a few days. Lots had to bail off southern end, and skip whitney.

One year yosemite got a 6′ dump in september….never melted. Stranded a hiker who starved to death.

It often a great time….but it can turn nasty.

Luke C
    Spectator

@paylasoutdoors

Hey, thanks for the response. You barely got out! I do plan on renting a garmin inreach for communication with the outside world, weather reports, and of course an emergency SOS. This is important because I will be solo on this trip. If that kind of storm is coming in, my first move is to bail, and ask questions later. If it turns out to nothing… I just hike back in and keep going. I have a 21 night permit, but plan on doing it much faster than that, I planned 21 days for weather and resupply flexibility, as well as some zero days. Those temps you speak of are cold, but with my gear that shouldn’t be a problem. R5 Sleeping pad, slingfin tent, 0° sleeping bag, arcteryx cerium hoody, wool long johns. Im hoping to also carry a surplus of food, even for longer sections, incase I have to weather out a storm and wait for rescue.

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

Heres 2 yr plot of temps at crabtree meadow….you can see it hit 15F last yr there about that time, but only 25F yr before.

Brad W
    BPL Member

@rocko99

I was there in late Sept. 2019. We got hit with a nasty cold storm-rain/wind/snow and 15F lows. We had liners for our 30f bags and with rain gear and jackets we did ok but I wish I had have better gloves with waterproof mitt covers as well as better pack covers. I used trash compactor bags but it was a PITA.

Make sure your rain gear/gloves are in order.

Alex Wallace
    BPL Member

@feetfirst

Locale: Sierra Nevada North

It’s going to be a game day, or week, decision. Watch the forecast and plan accordingly. For now, gather the gear needed to cope with the extremes if needed. Choose what you need as the day approaches.

With that, early fall storms in the Sierra are infamous for not being on the radar till a day or two before they hit. Know your exit points if you need to bail and make sure you have enough map should you need to make a detour.

Be safe and have fun!

Murali C
    BPL Member

@mchinnak

Will you be going North or South? Maybe starting from Mt Whitney will be better to get the highest elevation out of the way? Forester pass – next highest is right after.

I finished Mt Whitney Sep 11th, 2018 and didn’t have any bad weather and I saw a bunch of hikers at Forester pass who had started Sep 5th or so.

I would try to keep the weight down as much as possible. The elevation kicks in the last 1 or 2 miles near the passes on the JMT. And they are painful. I would aim for 40 lbs or lesser. I think my highest weight was 35 lbs out of MTR.

Just curious as to how you are going to keep your feet dry – I have never done snow hiking. But, one day in the afternoon, we got hail and rain and the temperature dropped like crazy and my feet were crazy numb and this was in Aug/early September. Since then I have been using GTX shoes with GTX liners over my socks to keep my feet dry. But curious what your plans are.

I would also reach out to reddit forums with your questions.

I know lots of folks love hiking in snow…..I am sure you will have a great time.

Cameron M
    BPL Member

@cameronm-aka-backstroke

Locale: Los Angeles

There are many posts on this subject so you should do some searches. This time is generally perfect but you should be prepared with food, equipment and mentally for a first snow that may slow you down for a day or two. Ironically, much of the trail is very defined and actually easy to find under the snow, but there could be some onerous postholing. The weather reports are not that useful actually, because as mentioned the weather changes fast and is very localized. Anything beyond a report of a massive storm does is not very instructive. Just before and after the first snow, the crowd completely vaporizes and you will only meet a few PCT hikers doing cleanup. If you are willing to carry a heavier pack, then avoiding resupply will help you sail through faster and with less hassle. Mental preparation for snow and difficult resupply are the only real issues for this time.

Luke C
    Spectator

@paylasoutdoors

Thanks for all the responses, everyone. @mchinnak, I will be going south bound, and already have my permit and time scheduled off. Unfortunately can’t change it now. As for what footwear to use in the snow, my hiking boots are Scarpa’s with Goretex tongues. I also have some REI rain pants and goretex gaiters. Unsure of whether im bringing all of the above… Definitely will have a poncho, space blanket, all those other things. I’m hoping to have all my gear together here in the next few weeks, and post some photos of what i’ve got. Looking forward to peoples feedback on what to bring in addition, and what could be left out. I always love hearing peoples ideas.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools