Topic

Late June Utah Car Camping

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Late June Utah Car Camping

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

This is somewhat off-topic for BPL but I’ll give it a shot anyways…

I’ll be visiting SLC and Park City in June with my family and dog. We would like to find some places to car camp (my wife doesn’t enjoy backpacking) on our way back to Arizona. We prefer dispersed camping on BLM/NF land rather than campgrounds. We have a very open schedule for this trip so suggestions that are out of the way a bit are fine.

We are definitely not interested in dealing with peak season NP campgrounds.

Erica R
    BPL Member

@erica_rcharter-net

Valley of the Gods was pretty great. No fires, though. It’s got the Monument Valley look without the restrictions. There are some good spots on the BLM just outside the Needles district. It is still possible to camp on the north rim within sight of the canyon, albeit from a distance. For a campground, Kodachrome State Park is very good. There is a dirt road between Kodachrome and the highway Page is on. It’s great back there along the Cockscomb. Don’t try it in wet weather.

Chris FormyDuval
    BPL Member

@chform

Locale: RTP

Muley Point is very nice. You can see Monument Valley in the distance. Also nearby in Cedar Mesa/Comb Wash area. Lots of dayhike opportunities, just be aware the road isn’t the best. Its dry, its ok.

Sean L
    BPL Member

@sbl84

Just before you get near the entrance to Zion look for Kolob Terrace Rd.  Someone owns property along a small creek a few miles down the road, and allows camping.  Usually has some people, but I have been in the middle of peak season and have had luck.  Nice jumping off point for other activities in the area.  Cheers

obx hiker
    BPL Member

@obxer

What route are you considering……. big picture?  Which boils down to which way are you going around the Grand Canyon? East side (Page or Jacobs Lake/Lees Ferry to Flagstaff or west side, St. George to Vegas? If the former how do you plan to get to Fredonia or Page? Both the USFS and the BLM have online info on numerous camping possibilities as well as “at large” camping but here’s probably so much info you might need to hone in on a route. On the East side of the Colorado there are at large sites and some developed sites all round the Needles, Abajo Mts., Bears Ears, Cedar Mesa area. On the west side of the river there are sure to be about a bazillion possibilities in Fishlakes and Dixie National Forests. As a maybe wayout example Google Crazy Jug Point on google maps and look at that little circle drive on the point. I camped there once and it is spectacular! Hopefully the kids are old enough to understand not to walk over the edge! That’s accessible by a “normal” sedan.

What is the comfort level of your group? Can they get by without “facilities”. That could be an Occam’s razor of a sort. Taking the kids (and dog) can create a whole new set of responsibilities. You probably ought to consider facilities at least most nights, or have some pretty good facsimiles available. The forest service probably has the most developed sites with facilities but States Parks are often pretty good ; for example the Coral Pink Sand Dunes outside Kanab has hot water showers! And lately even the BLM has been adding a few more developed facilities.

So pick a facility level that’ll keep the group reasonably satisfied and morale high. You just about can’t miss on scenery.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

The good news is everyone in the family is 100% down with undeveloped, dispersed camping. It’s how we camp in forests here in AZ. (When it’s just the boy and I we backpack although mom/wife has limited interest in that activity). If we are going to stay somewhere for a week or more (like the NorCal coast) then bathrooms/showers /big tents become required.

The bad news is the family decided (just yesterday) not to camp on the return trip. :(

Maybe we will scope out some of these areas on the way back with an eye on future trips. I appreciate all of the suggestions offered here. Thank you!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools