Topic

Late February or early March trip ideas

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Late February or early March trip ideas

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

In addition to my big trip this summer, there is a chance that I could get a chance to do a trip in late February or early March (most likely Presidents Day week) and I am looking for trip ideas?  Would it be too early to do a Zion Traverse?  The Grand Canyon?  Canyonlands?   What options do I have that early in the year that won’t be too cold, snowy or icy?  I prefer nights around 30* if possible.   I would have a week but could do anything from 4 days to 7 days.

My wife might also go, which would mean an easier trip with 10 miles per day or so.  If I go solo, I prefer 15-20 depending on the terrain.

I would probably fly from Atlanta and would start off looking at something in driving distance from a major airport like Las Vegas, Phoenix, Salt Lake City, or Albuquerque , just because flights are frequent and tend to be less expensive.

Thanks

Lee W
    BPL Member

@ltw

Locale: Mojave Desert

I like going to Escalante in March. Crowds and bugs haven’t shown up, nights are around 30, warms up nice in the sun during the day. Early March can be dodgy though. February, probably not so nice.

The Needles district of Canyonlands NP is an option. Can get darn cold at night that time of year, but can have really nice days too.

I will be in the Grand Canyon on President’s weekend as well as the first weekend of March, so hopefully the weather is good. GC should have good temps down in the canyon, but things are cold and likely snowy up top. First draw on permits for both months has already happened, so you’ll be stuck with the leftovers. Going down Nankoweap from Lower Saddle Mountain Trailhead may be an option. I know people like it there in March/April, not sure what it looks like in Feb/March.

Death Valley is an option, but it’s kind of an acquired taste. Spent time out there throughout last winter. Snow and cold up high (Telescope Peak), warm down low (Furnace Creek)

Big Bend? Don’t know anything about it. Joshua Tree, Mojave Preserve? Just throwing out some ideas of places I know will have good weather.

A lot of stuff is hit or miss that time of year. Might be good to have several options in the hopper and pull the trigger on the one with the best weather forecast. Most of these are easily accessible from Vegas.

Zion high country will likely be covered with snow in Feb/early March.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

GCNP is great that time of year in the Inner Canyon.  How long – 100 yards or 2 miles – you have to wear 4-points or micro spikes as you leave the rim, depends on how the weather and snowfall have been.

Hiking the gorges like The Narrows in Zion is far less crowded and not prone to flash floods, but most people find it quite cold.  My 9-year-old daughter and I did over Spring Break but she’s (1) tough and (2) from Alaska.  Leaving the elevation of the valley floor is dicey – those trails have a lot of exposure in summer with sand on them.  I’m not sure I’d want to hike them when icy.

Death Valley – definitely.

Section-hike the southernmost portions of the PCT?

It’s a nice time for Copper Canyon, Mexico.

We’ve headed to Baja and while the water is still cool, it seems warm coming from 60N.

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

This topic almost needs it’s own BPL FAQ posted this time of year …

Additional random locations in California that might work include:

• Trans-Catalina Trail offshore of LA
    • Mojave National Preserve
    • Anza-Borrego Desert State Park (PCT goes through part of the park)
    • Carrizo Plain National Monument
    • Lower elevations of Los Padres National Forest north of Santa Barbara
    • Henry Coe State Park near San Jose

And my usual warning about winter storms on the higher elevations of the PCT in Southern California: be careful, people die up there then.

— Rex

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Thanks everyone.  It looks like I have some research to do after I am stuffed full of Turkey.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

The Trans Catalina Trail looks interesting.  I had never heard of it.

I wonder what the weather would be on the Lost Coast Trail would be that time of year?

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

“I wonder what the weather would be on the Lost Coast Trail would be that time of year?”

Mostly rain, with occasional breaks of just overcast for a few days. Otherwise, quite moderate temperatures. And it’s a long, long drive from a major airport.

— Rex

John Smith
    BPL Member

@jcar3305

Locale: East of Cascades

Olympic coast in Washington is always good and accessible year round.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools