Topic

Lantern Recommendaton?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Lantern Recommendaton?

Viewing 9 posts - 26 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

CANDOIL collapsable lanterns are (sadly) long out of production but mine still work very well for long winter nights. I use scented lamp oil and one filling lasts 6 hours at medium flame.

Mike W
    BPL Member

@skopeo

Locale: British Columbia

I thought I’d add my recommendation, even though you have found your lantern.  (may be help to somebody else).  This is an incredible light in a very small package! (1.75 oz – including the battery)

https://www.fenixlighting.com/product/fenix-cl09-lantern/

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

MYOG headlamp shades in an interesting array of colors:

YouTube video

— Rex

Michael B
    BPL Member

@mikebergy

I was going to suggest the BD lantern I have – it seems you have a color-changing version of the one I have, and now I have mild GAS…

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

Late to the party but the Snow Peak Mini Hozuki is pretty cool

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

I’ve got a Petzl Hybid Tikka headlamp with a changeable Li-Ion Battery (so I can carry a fully charged extra), 300 max lumen, and use it for cooking, eating, reading etc.

But sometimes, like when I need to pitch a tent in the dark because hiking off-trail took longer than expected, it’s nice to have a lantern.  So I got the Noctilight that mates with the Tikka:  https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/petzl-noctilight/

Since I’m sold on the Petzl anyway, the Noctilight seemed like the lightest way to get the emergency lantern I was looking for.

Chris FormyDuval
    BPL Member

@chform

Locale: RTP

Any updates to lantern recommendations? I like that the goal zero chroma crush can recharge via usb. It can be hard at times to get the luci enough sunlight to recharge. Trying to keep  weight low but still usable enough for a group.

Christopher S
    Spectator

@chrisisinclair

Personally I cannot stand low CRI lights and I believe Nitecores newest 18650 lantern is high CRI. Its larger than the older ones recommended here but it does take 2 18650 batteries and functions as an excellent power bank – I suspect the combo comes out at a great weight all things considered.

The montbell option is also great for a headlamp

For a small stand alone similar to the Montbell the guy behind TreadLite Gear makes some of the lightest I have seen – they range from 5.5 grams to 27g. The 11g model I have works well. These are full lanterns and not just a cover.

For extra dim and zero power requirements a tritium vial or even better a tritium military light is best

And for the photographers and astro people out there the best option would be the H502PR headlamp – this only produces red light in a very low red nanometer and additionally it has tons of extra dim modes. It runs off a single AAA battery.  On the dimmest setting you can look directly at the LED and even closeup its totally comfortable and super dim. Good for using as a signal light. The other extra low brightness settings are brighter and are great as a low light headlamp. For very cold use pairing with a lithium primary non rechargeable (the light is made to be compatible with these) is also a very good option considering most other batteries hate the cold. Most other “red” lights are producing lots of other light spectrums in addition to red and dont go very dim at all so they will be much worse at preserving your night vision.

Andrew
    BPL Member

@twistytee

I made a lantern out of my Nitcore using a toothpaste cap as the diffuser and some 1/16″ shock cord.  Doesn’t add much weight and creates a nice soft glow.

Viewing 9 posts - 26 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools