Topic

Kuiu for Trump. Do you want to know which way your brand leans?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire On the Web Kuiu for Trump. Do you want to know which way your brand leans?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Will Newton
    BPL Member

@newts-2

I don’t think this is chaffy out of the gate, but it may get chaffy; if it does, Roger, feel free to move it over.

Dave Chenault’s most recent smartly-written blog post deals with corporate ambassadorship; it included a link to Kuiu’s corporate blog, which includes this recent post, essentially a corporate endorsement of Trump for president.

The post raised an eyebrow. I don’t think I’ve seen anything nearly as direct from any outdoor brand. Chouinard’s writing makes some leanings clear, but you’d have to seek those out; while the Pata site often features media about conservation, there’s no endorsement of specific parties or policies. There’s been some coverage of BD’s Peter Metcalf and his dealings with local and congressional-level land use officials, but I don’t think BD has featured said coverage on their blog.

As someone who works in branding the naivete of the Kuiu post surprised me; no matter one’s personal political leanings, it’s hard not to come away from the post feeling that Jason Hairston isĀ a bit starstruck by his affiliation. Explicitly tying your entire corporate brandĀ to a political campaign (particularly with zero mention of having investigated or understood any other candidate’s position on hunting or land-use issues) seems a dubious customer engagement strategy, even for a go-it-your-own-way outfit like Kuiu.

Thoughts?

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

uh oh, this can not go well : )

Ben and Jerry endorse Bernie

Yeah, it doesn’t seem like corporations should endorse political candidates. Ā Better to stay neutral.

Okay to endorse causes likeĀ Chouinard with environmentalism

Just my opinion though

Richard Scruggs
    BPL Member

@jrscruggs

Locale: Oregon

To politic, or not to politic?Ā And what’s “acceptable” politic anyway?

Those seem to beĀ the questions.

Walks like chaff, talks like chaff, sounds like chaff.Ā  Yep, it’s chaff.

Anonymous
    Inactive

The following quote from the KUIU article and from Jason is particularly funny, “In getting to know Don and his brother Eric I have been impressed at how humble, respectful and down to earth they both are.”

Boy, that nearly got me literally ROTFLOL. Ā But my growing cynicism kept me in check some.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools