Topic

Knot Q: Slippery Loop?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique Knot Q: Slippery Loop?

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Can anyone suggest a knot or hitch that puts a loop at the end of a line that is slippery? Something like an overhand on a bight, anglers loop or bowline that comes loose without picking it apart?

Erik G
    BPL Member

@fox212

Locale: Central Coast

I just use a bowline. Holds fine on my Lawson UltraGlide bear bag line. Keeping the ‘tail’ a little extra long seems to help a bit, and I do check it before hoisting my food up a tree.

Bob Moulder
    BPL Member

@bobmny10562

Locale: Westchester County, NY

For the 1.2mm Z-line on the corners of my Duplex and Hexamid tarps, I use a Blake’s hitch in place of the typical LL2. You could tuck the tail on a bight if needed for quickly undoing the whole thing.

With this hitch you have the option of making the guyline shorter or longer. The only caveat is that, like the LL2, only half the total length of the guyline is available for adjustment.

My little mnemonic for this one is “1-2-3-4, over-under-out the middle”

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

+1 on the Blake’s hitch.  I’ve used this in so many places I’ve forgotten half of them are there, only get a little smile when I grab something and notice the knot :)  It’s good for pretty much anything where the load pulls in one direction only, up until you encounter loads sufficient to require whoopee slings ‘n such.  It should do exactly what you are after Matthew.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

Do you prefer the Blake’s Hitch over a taut-line for tent guy lines?

Hugh Webb
    BPL Member

@magoo

“something like a … bowline that comes loose without picking it apart?”

Matt, perhaps also take a look at the Kalmyk knot. It is one of the only knots I know of that forms a strong, fixed loop but which “explodes” when you gently tug the free end.  See:

https://robertharder.wordpress.com/2011/04/15/kalmyk-can-the-kalmyk-unseat-the-bowline-as-king-of-knots/

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Ding ding ding we have a winner! The Kalmyk is exactly the type of solution I’m looking for. Thanks, Hugh!

Bob Moulder
    BPL Member

@bobmny10562

Locale: Westchester County, NY

David, I prefer Blake’s because with the 1.2mm Zline (spectra in a poly sheath) it has a bit more grip and it doesn’t loosen itself in the oscillating load/no-load windy conditions. It will still slip on woven dyneema cord, although it takes a lot more force than with a taut-line. However when I’m in a hurry I use the taut-line because it is a bit quicker. This is my experience anyway.

I also like it because it looks like it’s giving you “the finger” when it’s tied correctly.  :^)

Another slip hitch that comes undone easily is the Mooring Hitch. It is my all-time fave for tying to dead-man sticks under snow because when the tail is pulled to release it the lines do not cross, which greatly reduces friction when you’re trying to extract it from hard compacted snow.

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

The Kalmyk is fascinating and awesome, as is the bowline with a bight.  Both will see a lot of use in the future.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Bowline with a bight. Ugly but it looks like it would provide rapid disassembly.

I’m turned off on the Blake’s Hitch because I’m not looking for a sliding knot but I suppose I could jut slip it into a small loop and finish with a bight for disassembly. I need to practice all three and see which I like tying best. The Kalmyk pleases my sense of aesthetics most. :)

Ratatosk
    Spectator

@ratatosk

I’ve never seen the Kalmyk loop before. It’s a neat little knot!

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

a knot or hitch that puts a loop at the end of a line that is slippery?
    I have that problem all the time with Spectra lines. That stuff is super slippery.

But my solution is very simple: I double the end and tie a simple thumb knot. Dead simple, can be done in the dark. It does not slip: it is self-tightening.

One thing I prefer to do is to make the double line ‘neat’ with no twists or crossings inside the knot. I don’t think this alters the strength: it just looks better.

A slight disadvantage of my knot: it can be a bit hard to undo if it has been loaded. Well, that’s OK by me.

Cheers

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Thanks, Roger. I was looking for something that was slipped, so it could be undone easily not looking for a knot that functions well with slippery cord like spectra. I probably shouldn’t have used the term slippery.

I have no recollection of what I was trying to do with this knot.

Bill in Roswell
    BPL Member

@roadscrape88-2

Locale: Roswell, GA, USA

Great knot. All thats lacking is a video of tying it for those who are not into knots!

Bonzo
    BPL Member

@bon-zo

Locale: Virgo Supercluster

Great knot. All thats lacking is a video of tying it for those who are not into knots!

Done.

YouTube video

Ratatosk
    Spectator

@ratatosk

Watching that video, I realized this is probably an Evenk hitch, which may be why it’s not in Ashley’s. It’s a very common tarp ridgeline knot, I did not recognize it until I saw it tied around a standing object. On the plus side, I now know how to tie it with no standing object, so it’ll be a great bowline replacement at times.

It’s a wonderfully cultural knot, in that you can tell it comes fron a cold place; you can tie it in mittens.

Eugene Hollingsworth
    BPL Member

@geneh_bpl

Locale: Mid-Minnesota

OMGosh. This 5 year old thread proves we are all connected at some quantum level or String Theory anyone?

Just last night I got fed up with trying a slippery bowline, and bumped into the Kalmyk loop ( Inuit Loop, or Eskimo Loop) and then just made it “slippery” because I can.

Bonzo
    BPL Member

@bon-zo

Locale: Virgo Supercluster

OMGosh. This 5 year old thread proves we are all connected at some quantum level or String Theory anyone?

Correlation is not causation. 😉

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools