Topic

Knee Pain Only When Hiking

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Knee Pain Only When Hiking

Viewing 4 posts - 26 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Katherine .
    BPL Member

@katherine

Locale: pdx

I had a “Duh, why didn’t I ask Jen Mitol?” moment a few weeks ago. OMG, I totally fit her diagnostic exercise.

So I’m doing these religiously while the snow melts….

https://backpackerpt.com/2012/06/27/backpacking-with-knee-pain/

Hoping that strengthening the hips/gluts will allow me to go over 2.5 mph for 15+ mlles w/out knee pain, but haven’t put it to the test yet.

Brad P
    Spectator

@brawndo

Here’s an incomplete update. I’ve been doing some of the exercises in the link provided earlier in this thread.  I work with a trainer once a week and he started me on some exercises with bands around my legs.

The ones with the bands really worked muscles that had not been worked.

Yesterday, my son and I did his final hike for his hiking merit badge.  I call this an incomplete update because we did the Mount Vernon trail into DC.  This final hike had to be 20 miles, so he chose one that was flat.

My feet were a little sore at the end (I wore well broken in running shoes) and my right glute was sore, but no knee pain.  It will take a true hike with elevation change to know if this is really making a difference.  Just general leg stiffness this morning.

The Fireball whiskey chocolate marshmallow shake I got with my lunch in Foggy Bottom was quite good.  No drinking on Boy Scout trips, but this was just me and my son, not a troop event.  :)

Arthur
    BPL Member

@art-r

Cross training, stretching, gym work, exercises are all good. But, let me tell the tail of a respected trainer who had a client (my friend) respond to his request. “Get me in shape for backpacking”.  The trainer said “turn around, walk out that door, put a pack on your back, and start walking everyday, SLOWLY building up distance and elevation”. Nothing like training for what you do by doing it.  Wear the shoes you hike in and get some poles. Been there, had your experience. The above advice cured it.

Brad P
    Spectator

@brawndo

I’d do crossfit, but I’m trying to avoid injury, and talk about crossfit. :) (just kidding, mostly).

There’s no question that the best way to get in shape for an activity is doing the activity. Nothing works the muscles as well.

However, in this case, I was having pain that was going to stop the activity. I was in good enough shape for the activity. This still might not be my answer (see above) as this is an incomplete test. Working some specific muscles could be the answer to alleviating the pain.

If you’re aware of NFL linebacker James Harrison, he’s still a workout maniac at almost 40 years old. One exercise he does is play a form of volleyball with medicine balls. That isn’t something done on the football field, but it certainly appears to be working to keep him in excellent football shape.

Viewing 4 posts - 26 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools