Topic

Klymit Inertia X pad

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals Klymit Inertia X pad

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Kelly G
    BPL Member

@kellydt

Hi, Amazon has this pad for $44 right now. Older model.

Kelly

Dondo .
    BPL Member

@dondo

Locale: Colorado Rockies

Thanks for the heads-up, Kelly.  Recently, I picked one of these up after someone in another thread mentioned using a backpacking cot.  It occurred to me that this might be able to function as an inflatable cot with my SOlite short laid over it.  Combined with a MYOG foam pillow, I’m finding it surprisingly comfortable.  My question is about the R-value of this combination.  The SOlite is R 2.1 and I’m assuming that the X frame itself is about R 1 based  on tests of other air-only pads.  But what about the cut-outs?  Does the CCF laid over the empty spaces provide enough dead air to give the whole X frame a R 1?

Speculation encouraged.

Kelly G
    BPL Member

@kellydt

Hi Dondo, I’m planning a similar set up. Use it for a cot, put a blue Wally world ccf over it, with my MYOG foam pillow. Maybe I’ll get a better ccf, that folds up. I read lots of speculation, yes, that the pad is R value 1. The open space, I would guess is also 1, being just trapped air. I wonder about a X Frame sandwich with a GG Thinlight on the bottom, ccf on top. Hmm.

Dondo .
    BPL Member

@dondo

Locale: Colorado Rockies

An X Frame sandwich.  I like the idea, Kelly.  The 75d probably doesn’t need extra protection but the extra .4 or .5 R-value would certainly be welcome.  When I started playing around with this kind of set up, I assumed that the challenge would be comfort.  But I’m finding that boosting the insulation without adding too much weight is tricky.  I’m curious to see what you come up with.

Daniel C
    BPL Member

@dpc131

In another thread there was a lot of talk about the new ASTM R ratings and how the Klymit Insulated tested as a 1.9 or something, while they advertise a 4.4. The main issue is that it seems these pads lose a ton of heat in the air baffles, or in their Static-V line the ~1″ V-baffle.

My theory (since they market the concept,) is that they are assuming that the bag’s insulation will have room to expand and add R-value to the voids. So I guess you would get some stored heat with the trapped in a CCF sandwich. With no insulation, I would assume the cutouts and the air inside the pad would stay about the same temperature.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools