Topic

Kilimanjaro

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Kilimanjaro

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Stephen Bing
    BPL Member

@stephbing

Locale: SoCal

Hi there,

We’re thinking of going next year and was wondering if anyone here has planned a trip up there without using a company but with just a required guide. If so, what kind of gear did you bring and what is the permit process for the different campsites and stuff? Will be doing more research also but wanted to get info from someone who’s gone that route.

Thanks!

Valerie E
    Spectator

@wildtowner

Locale: Grand Canyon State

Our honeymoon was a trip to Africa, and we did Kili (Shira route). We did Kili “private”, i.e., not with a group. (It *was* our honeymoon, after all!)

Although we used an “outfitter”, we used a LOCAL one who offered various levels of service (at various price levels).  To me, that was the best of both worlds, because you didn’t have to worry about the boring “nuts & bolts” stuff like permits, but you could choose whether or not to bring your own food, equipment, etc.  That local outfitter is great to deal with, and the internet makes that stuff easy!

If you’d like to know more about that, feel free to message me.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools