Topic

Kids UL Down Bags

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals Kids UL Down Bags

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Justin Flynn
    BPL Member

@nomadic

So I was looking for a UL down bag for my 6 year old last summer and after going to REI and looking on Google I came up empty handed. Kinda surprised I started asking around and my friend who works at REI told me parents would come in often looking for a down bag for their kids. So I decided to make some. After several months of sample bags I found a great down supplier in China who also manufactures several top US brands sleeping bags. After several months of testing and tweaking I got the bags to where I am really happy with them. Super light. Warm. Tons of loft. Just under 25 oz. I finally got the website up and we are taking orders for any parents out there interested in taking the kids out with them. http://www.kampaka.com

The bags all use 800 fill. 94% down.15D ripstop shells. Weighing right around 25 oz and super compressible to about the size of a football. Mid size bag is priced affordable at $175.

Let me know if you have any questions. Stoked to chat with other parents and fill a need. You dont need to lug around a huge bulky synthetic bag anymore or rubber band the bottom of an adult bag.

-Justin

Rachel P
    BPL Member

@ponyespresso

These look really nice! I might have to get one for my daughter…I reclaim my sleeping bag next fall then!

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Hi, I moved this thread to Gear Deals from Gear Swap. You’ll need to provide a discount or special offer for BPL members. Thanks!

Justin Flynn
    BPL Member

@nomadic

Hey Matthew,

I apologize I didn’t read the forum rules before posting. Any BPL members can enter the code “BPL” and get 10% off their order.

Eric Osburn
    BPL Member

@osb40000

So is free shipping in the U.S. not available? It wants to charge $8.98 for shipping on checkout but on the product page it says free shipping.

Lissa M
    BPL Member

@akbou

I ordered one, then got my money back because he had sold out to his local REI. He was able to send me a demo one and it is nice (subject to testing from the little ones). I would like to order another when the come in stock, but I haven’t heard back from him. :(

Justin Flynn
    BPL Member

@nomadic

Sorry guys for just responding to this now Lissa is right. I sold out of my first small order. I have a couple samples left if you are interested Eric just let me know. Quicker to reach me at [email protected]

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

I get the appeal of a kid-sized bag, but now that I’ve had all my kids outgrow them (and gifted them to local friends with younger kids), I’ve wondered if that was the best strategy.

Justin’s offering seems superior in weight and volume to most anything you’ll find at REI in a kid’s size, but compared to, say, an 20F EE Revelation Quilt (currently available through MassDrop) for $220 in Regular length (to 6’0″) / Regular width at 22.1 ounces, it’s 3 ounces heavier and the kid will outgrow it, unlike a full-sized quilt.

Yeah, a quilt can be (should be!) lighter than a comparable bag and there’s a learning curve to sleeping in a quilt, but as soon as I made that transition myself, I started switching the wife and kids to quilts as I upgraded (i.e. lightened) our fleet of bags/quilts.  Spending a bit more now, for a lighter option that will fit the user forever would likely reduce total costs, unless, like the Duggars, you spawn 19 children for 21+ years and have grandchildren older than some of your own.  Then you can hand-down kid-sized stuff forever.

Justin Flynn
    BPL Member

@nomadic

I prefer a quilt myself but for my son he tossed and turned way too much for that too work. I am considering offering a kids sized quilt if demand is there. For $165 for a goose down bag that will last them for 3-5 years I think its a good buy. A kids down jacket from Patagonia is $125.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

I agree it is a good price for good specs.  And, yeah, some kids just toss and turn all night long.  And a UL kid-sized bag (or a quilt) isn’t just backpacking gear.  It makes the sleep-over tote much more manageable.  Maybe it’s a generational thing or a small-town thing, but my kids do a lot more sleepovers from Kindergarten to 8th grade than I ever did growing up.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools