Topic

Khufu sil. Has it always been this expensive?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Khufu sil. Has it always been this expensive?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Josh Thomas
    BPL Member

@jtpeso

Locale: Louisville, Ky

Hey guys, I’m pondering the switch to a mid, and I’ve got my eye set on the usual suspects – MLD and Locus Gear. But when I did the yen-to-dollar conversation yesterday, the Khufu (which seems to be the closest analogue to the Duomid) was $60 more expensive! Am I wrong in remembering it being quite a bit cheaper not so long ago? I’m sure it’s a great shelter, but $320 for a silnylon mid seems a bit steep. The ultimate purpose here isn’t to complain, though. I guess I just want to know if there’s something I’m missing in my rationale.

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

Josh,
    The quality of silnylon varies all the way from trash to treasure.
    Richard Nisley’s many posts on BPL of silnylon testing show this to be true.
    Sorry you were disappointed by the rise in price. That could be affected by exchange rates, supply vs demand, and other factors. Suggest doing some research and comparative shopping to decide.

Alex Wallace
    BPL Member

@feetfirst

Locale: Sierra Nevada North

I think it’s mainly related to the JPY – USD exchange rate. For the past 2 years I’ve been casually checking their site to ogle. While browsing, I’d check the converted USD prices, which have continuously crept up because of the strengthening JPY. Early 2015 was the time to buy.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools