Topic

Ketogenic Coffee?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Ketogenic Coffee?

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Steve M
    BPL Member

@steve-2

Locale: Eastern Washington
    Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

Yeah, some guy ( I forget his name) popularized it a few years back. He called it “Bullet-Proof Coffee.” I tried it myself, with some coconut butter, regular butter, and my usual Starbucks coffee. A good friend swears by it, but I found it a bit messy when washing my cup. It DOES provide you with a high-caloric breakfast drink however, and you aren’t very hungry for several hours.

Pedestrian
    BPL Member

@pedestrian

There are many variants of so called “fat burning” coffee ideas floating around.

Here are some from Phil Maffetone. I have no connection with Maffetone beyond using his many great ideas for training to run.

YMMV, NFI, etc

BC Bob
    Spectator

@bcbob

Locale: Vancouver Island

There are decades of studies showing that a single high-fat meal impairs endothelial functioning, constricts blood vessels, and slows blood flow.  Dean summarizes it pretty well….

https://www.ornish.com/zine/how-your-body-responds-to-just-one-fatty-meal/

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

The fats may be useful fuel, but ‘coffee’ it ain’t!

Cheers

BC Bob
    Spectator

@bcbob

Locale: Vancouver Island

Wake up and smell the coffee: caffeine supplementation and exercise performance—an umbrella review of 21 published meta-analyses

Summary/conclusion: Synthesis of the currently available meta-analyses suggest that caffeine ingestion improves exercise performance in a broad range of exercise tasks….It seems that the magnitude of the effect of caffeine is generally greater for aerobic as compared with anaerobic exercise.

https://bjsm.bmj.com/content/54/11/681.abstract

Pedestrian
    BPL Member

@pedestrian

” Dean summarizes it pretty well….”

Dr Snake Oil himself……be very, very careful what Ornish “publishes”…

Pedestrian
    BPL Member

@pedestrian

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Well, at least a little deluded.

My own research shows that the ingestion of a medium amount of good chocolate has beneficial effects on both mood and performance. Coffee also helps.

Cheers

Rick Reno
    BPL Member

@scubahhh

Locale: White Mountains, mostly.

From my decades of (N=1) studies mixing about an ounce of coconut oil into my coffee and shaking like hell, I’d contest this on all four counts. I’v’e never seen any reliable correlation between dietary fat and blood cholesterol, not between blood cholesterol and heart disease. Beyond that, the benefits to health and exercise of metabolic flexibility have been extraordinary, at least for me. I’m all in. HYOH and have fun!

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

the benefits to health and exercise of metabolic flexibility have been extraordinary,
    You mean, if it is good food I’ll eat it?

Cheers

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

I tried bulletproof coffee once, thought it tasted terrible, but that was because of the butter. I have a tablespoon of MCT oil and some collagen peptides in my first cup of coffee each day, only instead of shaking I use an immersion blender for about 20 seconds to mix it up. Quite good, IMO.

Steve M
    BPL Member

@steve-2

Locale: Eastern Washington

I finally broke down and tried this stuff.  Not a very strong coffee taste, somewhat bland but definitely a boost in calories.  For my second cup I added 1/2 packet of  starbucks via–much better this way.  YMMV

Pedestrian
    BPL Member

@pedestrian

When I do this it’s always with espresso strength coffee (made in a mocha pot). You want the coffee to be strong enough and acidic enough (made with light roast beans) to cut through the taste of the fats. I much prefer very heavy cream over butter; coconut oil or MCT oil optional. The other variation is to add the yolk of one fresh egg.

Pick your poison(s).

I usually just drink my coffee black made with an Aeropress which by the way is a great luxury item on backpacking trips. I grind the beans at home and portion out and vacuum seal the beans one bag for each day. I user the empty vacuum bags to pack out the grounds.

John “Jay” Menna
    BPL Member

@jaymenna78734

Locale: 30.3668397,-97.7399123

@Richard Reno.  Do you have any formal training in cardiology?  I’m not throwing rocks here.  Just looking for a starting place to sort the wheat from the chaff..

Rick Reno
    BPL Member

@scubahhh

Locale: White Mountains, mostly.

Great question, Jay, and the short answer is that I don’t, beyond the usual college science classes 100 years ago and a lifelong curiosity about why we can’t seem to agree on the most very basic of questions about the human condition: “WTF should we eat?!?”

I’ve studied it a lot and am pretty sure (sure enough to bet my health and longevity on it, anyway) that

1. it’s all about insulin

2.Sugar is poison and wheat is sugar and both are more addictive than crack

3. Most of us (myself included) are best adapted to eat what humans evolved eating prior to settled agriculture about 10,000 years ago; and worst adapted to food as it’s changed over the past fifty or so years

4. corn is bad for humans and cows (but good luck getting off it!)

But back to cholesterol; here are a few decent resources yu might check out.

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/dietary-cholesterol-does-not-matter#effects

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6024687/

https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/what-should-you-eat/fats-and-cholesterol/cholesterol/

https://www.ahajournals.org/doi/10.1161/CIR.0000000000000743

https://health.clevelandclinic.org/why-you-should-no-longer-worry-about-cholesterol-in-food/

Oh, and just for giggles, this is a terrific book:

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools