Topic

Ketogenic Backpacking

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Ketogenic Backpacking

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Diane Pinkers
    BPL Member

@dipink

Locale: Western Washington

Ketogenic backpacking: how to pack lighter and go farther by fueling with fat by Brian Ausinheiler is a book I picked  up as a Kindle book.  This goes into great detail about the keto diet, and gives “recipes” for backpacking food

I don’t eat keto, but I do appreciate low carb ideas. I use the term “recipes” advisedly,  as I don’t consider stacking a piece of cheese with buffalo ghee and and olive to be a recipe. Heavy on soups for hot dishes.

I thought that someone here would appreciate the book, since there are several that eat keto. It’s not to my taste, at least at this time, but he does state that if one eats low carb, modify his recipes by adding more veggies, and I may do that.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

I’ve been eating keto for awhile now, including on backpacking trips. I came across Next Mile Meals somewhere and decided to order a sampler pack. Some of the best dehydrated/freeze dried backpacking meals I’ve ever had, they’re truly tasty. I add a packet of ghee to each meal to increase calorie/fat content. Highly recommended for keto backpackers (though they are expensive, $14 each when ordered separately). I’ve just ordered more for upcoming trips.

Rick Reno
    BPL Member

@scubahhh

Locale: White Mountains, mostly.

I just picked up soem Slim Fast meal bars and shake mix. They’re not great but they taste OK; the nutrition n umbers aren’t bad; and they’re fairly dense. The bars for example are 1.5 oz., 190 cal, 14g fat, 7g protein, 15g carb (9 fiber, 2 erythritol, i glycerin= 3 net). I’m not sure how they figure 200 cal is a meal, but out in the woods every little bit helps, eh?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools