Topic

Katiola Micro Spikes or a knockoff—which?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Katiola Micro Spikes or a knockoff—which?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Cal
    BPL Member

@7cal7

Locale: earth

I see great reviews for Katoola Microspikes. They’re averaging $60-70 online. But there’s an abundance of knockoffs that look very similar in design at a fraction of the price, some between $20-30. I don’t believe in buying junk but does anyone have thoughts on this? Thx

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

I think the Khotoola’s are made by Snowline and Hillsound is another proven brand, so I wouldn’t limit myself just to Khotoola’s but I probably wouldn’t go with just any knockoff either, especially on something on something that is designed to keep you safe.

Obviously the area of biggest concern is the elastic band that could break.  I have a pair of Microspikes that I bought in 2008 that are still going strong without any signs of wear or fatigue.

Dan
    BPL Member

@dan-s

Locale: Colorado

Obviously the area of biggest concern is the elastic band that could break.

For me, the point of failure usually involves the links and metal connecting pieces. They can can often be repaired temporarily, but eventually when too many of the links break, I just buy a new set. So far, I haven’t had the elastic fail on either microspikes or yaktrax (I like the diamond grip style for around town). The parts in contact with the ground take a lot of abuse and fail first for me. YMMV obviously, and I haven’t tried any of the more obscure brands.

Tipi Walter
    BPL Member

@tipiwalter

In my experience the biggest concern with microspikes is their propensity to glob up wet snow underneath and you end up hiking on 3lb clumps of snow beneath each boot—then having to kick off this snow every 3rd or 4th steep.  OTOH they work great on powder snow at 0F or on ice but in wet snow which is pretty much all we get in the Southeast they are worse than boots.

Victor Hoyt
    BPL Member

@vhoyt

Locale: Hudson Highlands

Sectionhiker just reviewed one of the knockoff brands. He seems to like them. However, read the one stars on Amazon and you’ll see exactly what one would suspect. The qc is spotty, so they’re not durable. The materials are cheaper, and likely not viable at very low temps.

I have a pair of ten year old Microspikes. There is one break on the elastic, but they still stay on. They’re dull and worn,  but still kicking. I’d say the extra cost is worth the longevity.

Stephen Seeber
    BPL Member

@crashedagain

I go through a number of pairs of microspikes each year and it does not matter who makes them.  I have broken the major brands in less than a month and the same with the knockoffs.  So, why pay more?  The links of any brand will break.  I don’t think I have had a failure of the elastic portion on any but link failures on all of them.  If you tend to use them only on snow and ice, then I would expect minimal or no failures.  However, if you use them on terrain with rocks, then, expect failures.  My use of microspikes involves lots of rocks.    I stopped purchasing the top brands because you can get knockoffs for $25-30 on Amazon.  A number of the knockoffs have a one year warranty, so after a link breaks after a couple of months, I get a free replacement pair or a refund from Amazon. For the past two seasons I have mainly purchased a brand on Amazon with the strange name Uelfbaby.  The last one I purchased failed on the 2nd hike and its replacement is on the way.

Chris R
    BPL Member

@bothwell-voyageur

I have recently been using the Hillsound Flexsteps, no links to break

bradmacmt
    BPL Member

@bradmacmt

Locale: montana

My wife and I both use Chainsen Light microspikes… we love them.

Cal
    BPL Member

@7cal7

Locale: earth

Hey all. Thank you for chiming in. Much appreciated!

cal

Mark Ries
    Spectator

@mtmnmark

Locale: IOWAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

I’ve had better luck with the Uelfbaby’s than the Katoola’s which had the rubber eyelets rip out I do have an occasional chain hook come undone but it’s been easy to repair using small rocks to hammer hooks closed and the repair lasts. I don’t see paying $75 for a cheaper product. I was in an outdoor shop the other day Black Diamond now makes micro spikes also they are micro microspikes(small). I hike with others in a club I belong to who feel the same Uelfbabys give you superpowers 19 spikes verses 13. I felt in the beginning the knockoffs would not last but I was the one proven wrong. Both brands need to be kept far away from heat of fire as I’ve watched others trash before my eues

Cameron M
    BPL Member

@cameronm-aka-backstroke

Locale: Los Angeles

If a day-hike hike or anticipated heavy use, trail walking and occasional rocks- Katoolas. If carried for sporadic purposes on a multi-day- the Chainsens, which are lighter but less robust. I personally don’t think Yaktraks are useful enough. But snow and ice are so variable, from day to day and from hour to hour, I tend to be conservative in what I take.

kevperro .
    BPL Member

@kevperro

Locale: Washington State

If money isn’t an issue I’d use the Katoolas as my first choice.   Money is an issue (ok…I’m just cheap) so I use an Amazon Chinese copy that looks a lot like those Chainsen ones in the picture above.

They are heavier, the chains are not as reliable and well built but they do the trick if sized right.

Dylan C
    BPL Member

@dylan-c

Locale: Canaan, NY

FWIW, Hillsound customer service is great. They have given me two replacement pairs free of charge in the last 4 years after mine had rubber failure.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools