Topic

Katabatic Quilt DWR Questions

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Katabatic Quilt DWR Questions

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Gerry B.
    BPL Member

@taedawood

Locale: Louisiana, USA

In reviewing the existing Katabatic quilt threads, I have not found any comments about the long term DWR of the Pertex near the top of the quilt.  All of my previous quilts have had either a more water repellent fabric or Event near the top where I breathe because without that the moisture from my breath soaks the down in the top baffle near my mouth, especially in colder temperatures.  So in considering a Katabatic quilt, I am wondering if, for now other reason, I need the WP Down or if the Pertex will keep the down dry around my face.  Any input from existing Katabatic quilt owners would be greatly appreciated.

John Vance
    BPL Member

@servingko

Locale: Intermountain West

I have 100 plus nights in Katabatic quilts.  It doesn’t bead up like it used to but I haven’t wetted out the down from breathing on and around the top either – even when there has been significant condensation.  As a side note, I can still pour water on the shell and it doesn’t soak through but the shell material is slightly damp.

Pertex is known for it’s DWR and I haven’t found anything that has worked better and been as breathable.  I will always error on the side of breathability vs water repellency.  IMHO, that has always worked best for me after owning bags with Gortex, Dryloft, EPIC, and a sampling of proprietary WP breathable fabrics.  I would like a lighter fabric option from Katabatic but that’s just me.   Pertex GL would be my first pick.

Gerry B.
    BPL Member

@taedawood

Locale: Louisiana, USA

Thanks, John for your insightful response.  Based on your experience then, would you go with the 900 Down or the 850 WP Down?  It sounds like the Pertex is sufficiently DWR to protect against all but the worst soaking conditions?

John Vance
    BPL Member

@servingko

Locale: Intermountain West

I have always opted for the 900 on all of them.  I am still a bit skeptical of the llong term pros and cons of WR down and I am still taking a wait and see approach.  Having said that, I must disclose that I have a 1lb bag of 850 fill down that is WR along with yards and yards of Argon 90 and 67.  My son has become a “hanger” and I thought I would take a crack at a MYOG down bag that encircles the hammock combining top and bottom insulation and figured I’d try the WR down for that since it will see little use and be for car camping.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools