Topic

Katabatic Onni review

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    pgreenx
    BPL Member

@pgreenx

Recently posted this on Katabatic’s website and thought I’d share it here:

I am available if anyone has any more questions. Id buy it again but hope they change all the pocket designs

I’ve used the pack approximately 20 hiking days so far ranging from 10- 20 miles a day so enough for a preliminary review. Materials and workmanship are top note. I also love the Liteskin; wasn’t sure I would but its a great combination of lite and strong with a supple feel. The front pouch seems to be articulated so it holds a good amount of gear without a bulging pack taking up its room from the inside.

I am also very happy with how it carries weight. A big fan of the stiff frame sheet and stay that goes to the bottom of the pack unlike the HMG packs which stop right above the hip belt ad stick in your back

Not a fan of the hip belt pockets – while they hold a lot of gear, I would prefer more material than the stretch fabric (more like ULA packs). Fitting a phone in and then wrapping the curved belt around your hips puts too much pressure on the phone. Little things like the key holder in the belt is a nice touch. I also find the bottom of the side pockets do not sit flat and keep pushing my water bottles up. Not sure if this is the intended design or not? Also the shock cord that tightens the side pockets lives inside the pocket and is hard to access when hiking; Id move it so is more easily accessed from the outside of the side pocket.

Lastly, I hear Liteskin is waterproof and I know the pack is not advertised as such but in a downpour water did leak in; not sure where at this point by most likely where the Liteskin and the cordura meet in the front at the bottom of the big front pocket. Just pointing this out so others don’t go without a pack cover or liner bag like I did…

In summary, I love the pack and after 25 years of backpacking and owning almost everything under the sun, I plan on sticking with my Onni for a while

Alex Wallace
    BPL Member

@feetfirst

Locale: Sierra Nevada North

Thanks for the review.

“…and stay that goes to the bottom of the pack unlike the HMG packs which stop right above the hip belt…”

I owned a HMG Porter 3400 back in ’15 and the metal stays went from the very bottom, hip belt included, to the top where the shoulder straps are sewn. Are they different now?

pgreenx
    BPL Member

@pgreenx

Maybe I wrote it up wrong – all I know is that the two gag stays dug into my lower back and they could not have if they went down to the bottom.   I hear others say the same

Rob
    BPL Member

@grubbster

Just checked my HMG 3400.  The stays go all the way to the bottom of the hip belt.

pgreenx
    BPL Member

@pgreenx

ok – thanks

I still like the Katabatic better than the HMG.  Will probably take a lot of flack for this point!

Randy Martin
    BPL Member

@randalmartin

Locale: Colorado

I have the Katabatic Onni v40 so same basic design as yours but different material.  On this point

“Also the shock cord that tightens the side pockets lives inside the pocket and is hard to access when hiking; Id move it so is more easily accessed from the outside of the side pocket.”

Are you sure there isn’t a loop of material the shock cord can go through that is outside the pocket as well?  From the website the picture #3 of 5 (https://katabaticgear.com/shop/onni-liteskin-50l-backpack/) seems to show a loop right on the seam between the side pocket and front pocket that is for the shock cord?

pgreenx
    BPL Member

@pgreenx

I actually called Katabatic and they said they designed the side pocket closure this way and no alternate.  It’s not a huge deal but I’m coming off a ULA ohm with infinitely better side and hip belt pockets.  Also with regard to hip belt pockets I now realize the problem- the material is very stretchy but the zippers are too tight (ie.  don’t stretch) to allow larger items to fit in easily.

Still a great pack and plan on bring it on my 500 mile at section hike later this yr.

Randy Martin
    BPL Member

@randalmartin

Locale: Colorado

I will add that I love my Onni v40.  I went with it after having and selling my zPacks Arc Blast.  The combination of durable material and quality design and workmanship are all major factors for me.  It fits with my general trend of stepping away from Ultralight products that are not durable and don’t perform well under stress (ie  Shelters that don’t perform well in storms and backpacks that don’t hold up)

Jason
    BPL Member

@cheaptentguy

Paul, the ULA Circuit is on my list of possible packs as well as the Onni. What makes you say the pockets are infinitely better on the Ohm? Given the pockets, is everything else that much better on the Onni?

Also, anyone: what are the main differences between the V40 and the LiteSkin other than weight?

pgreenx
    BPL Member

@pgreenx

I can’t comment on the V40 but love the Liteskin.  it is tough enough, lightweight and has a nice supple feel to the touch.  As far as the pockets go, when the Onni’s hip belt is attached and under tension, the zippers do not have enough space when unzipped to take full advantage of the large amount of size they can actually hold.  If you loosen the hip belt, then you can fit things in the pocket.  The Ula pockets are best in class (IMHO) but I like the Onni better than the Ohm mostly due to the metal stay and support.  The Ohm has a lightweight hoop for support and no metal stay to transfer weight to hip belt.  I used the Ohm for a lot of years its also a great pack though

I also don’t like the side pockets as such as the ULA packs. the water bottles flop around; you can see this in other you tube reviews for the Knik are pockets

I hope to do a you tube review in a couple of weeks. I still like the pack

Jason
    BPL Member

@cheaptentguy

Thanks for the info, Paul. Look forward to seeing the YouTube review.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

“What makes you say the pockets are infinitely better on the Ohm?”

ULA has the magic combo when it comes to wide pockets IMO. They are large, accessible and cinch down easily. I’ve owned their Catalyst, Circuit, CDT and Ohm. The Ohm’s pockets are the best of them, at least for me. They are placed low on the pack and huge yet not floppy.

I did not care for the pockets on my Knik, particularly when loaded with one 1 liter Smartwater bottle. I found them to be far too floppy. They’d probably work much better with two bottles or a short, squat bottle. In fairness, I don’t know if the pockets on the Onni have the same design as the Knik.

pgreenx
    BPL Member

@pgreenx

I don’t understand your question.  I am agreeing with you the ULA side and hip belt pockets are the best I have seen and way better than the Katabatic

Steve B
    BPL Member

@geokite

Locale: Southern California

I liked the Omni 65 so much I also bought the Omni 50.  Great packs.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools