Topic

Katabatic Alsek Temp Range

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Katabatic Alsek Temp Range

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    H W
    BPL Member

@olddude

Looking at a Alsek regular wide with 2 oz overfill. Anyone got one? Curious what you’d say the range of temps would be, especially at the high end. If it’s 50 would I be shedding all my clothes just to be comfortable?

John Vance
    BPL Member

@servingko

Locale: Intermountain West

I had an Alsek reg wise with 2oz overfill as well.  I switched to a Flex 22 with 2oz overfill because my son convinced me to sell him the Alsek.  At 50f you should be fine.  I used mine down into the teens with light cap 1 base layers and my windshirt with a down balaclava while on an Xtherm pad.

H W
    BPL Member

@olddude

Thanks John for responding and your experience with the Alsek temp range.

I’ve also been considering the Flex 22 primarily for the versatility of the footbox as opposed to the closed system of the Elite series. So are you happy with the switch?

John Vance
    BPL Member

@servingko

Locale: Intermountain West

Yes, overall I am.  I must say I haven’t used the quilt with the foot box fully open but I have opened it up to air out more quickly and dry out some condensation when I’ve used a bivy.

For the money saved it’s a great choice, especially if you anticipate some warmer nights. I rarely camp when nighttime temps are above 50f where I would bring a down bag.  I have a down throw from Costco I use for balmy nights mid summer in warm climes or a fleece throw or silk liner for hot camping.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools