Topic

Kailas DCF Tents

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Kailas DCF Tents

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Chad Lorenz
    BPL Member

@chadl

Locale: Teton Valley, Wydaho

https://www.verticallstore.com/KAILAS_Dragonfly_Dyneema_2P_Tent/p4546831_20026675.aspx

Chinese brand, 1p available also.

Found them while looking for lightweight ice screws… no affiliation to either Canadian distributor or manufacturer.

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

I’ve moved on to hammocks, but like to try to stay current on tents for some of my ground-dwelling backpacking companions, so I took a peek at this.  I had to laugh – It looked exactly like the Mountain Hardwear PCT2 that I bought when I first started backpacking again in 2005…

Mountain Hardwear PCT2

This little gem weighs just under 6 pounds (with the groundsheet), just missing the SUL designation ;)

Funny story with this…I introduced a friend of mine to backpacking and we used this tent on our first trip (the Old Loggers Path in Pennsylvania).  A couple of years later I pulled it out for him and his wife to use after tailgating at a Penn State game.  His wife went to get in the tent and exclaimed: “You and Kevin SHARED this tent?  It’s not even big enough for husband and wife!”

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Interesting. It’s probably a nice tent but that listing doesn’t look too trustworthy. For example, it says the fly is DCF but then it also says the fly has a PU coating which can’t be true. Also odd to see a quite heavy 40D floor used with a DCF floor (if that spec is correct).

The implementation of the magnetic doors looks a bit odd. The door flops over the top of the tent to stick to a magnet on the far side. That saves rolling it up – nice – but how do you do that from inside if you’re getting out in the morning? And if the second door is opened it pins the first one in place so you can’t close the first door.

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

Hooo…Early 2000s flashback.  I’m sure that design works as well today as it did then. By which I mean not terribly well.

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

@JCH – I know what you mean.  If I ever put it up again I’ll have to measure the width of the footbox – I recall it being very narrow (probably 24″ or less).  I bought it about a week before a trip – up until then the smallest tent I had was a Sierra Designs 3P tent that weighed even more.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools