Topic

Joshua Tree 1st week December

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Joshua Tree 1st week December

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Robb Watts
    BPL Member

@rwatts

Locale: Western PA

I’ll be staying in the town of Joshua Tree for a few days in early December. My wife and daughter-in-law have graciously agreed to drop my son (36) and I (much older) off for an overnight in the park. We are both experienced 4 season tarp campers, I’m thinking bivy sacks and 20 degree quilts will be fine (?). Any need for a tarp?

Big question is where to go. Any suggestions where the women can drop us off where we can get somewhere to watch the stars in a few hours walking? Somewhere not too far of a drive ( already pushing things with the overnight)?

Miner
    BPL Member

@miner

Locale: SoCAL

20F in December should be fine. Be aware that it can sometimes get very windy at night so try to find a spot behind something to block it off.  As for bringing a tarp, I normally cowboy camp in just a bivy, but I would verify the weather before going as it can rain starting late November. Even if it rains, a tarp is all I normally bring.

Across the northern part of the park is the California Riding and Hiking tail which crosses a road several times over it’s ~36 mile length.  The entire thing makes a great 2-3 day one way hike in the cooler months.  You can pick any section of it you like.

I’d pick up a copy of the National Geographic or the Tom Harrison Joshua Tree maps which show you all the trails and some of the easy cross country routes in the park for the more adventurous.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools