Topic

JMT mileage / elevation spread sheet ???

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion JMT mileage / elevation spread sheet ???

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    DWR D
    BPL Member

@dwr-2

Is there a spread sheet with mileage and elevation for the JMT.

I am planning south to north…

would be great if there was such a thing as a spreadsheet where I could just plug in my itinerary and see the mileage and elevation gain/loss.

Thanks,

DWR

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

DWR D
    BPL Member

@dwr-2

Thanks John…

Interesting, but I was hoping to have a spread sheet that I would actually work with…

or at minimum print out… I can print this one but it is something like 46 pages due, I think, to the author trying to include all possible camp sites? And each site or entry is spread over two pages… very cumbersome and hard to work with… easier to follow the map and do my own spread sheet… which is not easy at all…

Perhaps someone will have something easier to work with…. ?

but thanks, again…

DWR

Ralph Burgess
    BPL Member

@ralphbge

If you send me a PM with your email, I can send you my spreadsheet with mileage and elevation at about 50 key waypoints.

You should also join the ex-Yahoo JMT group which is now here:

https://groups.io/g/JMT

they have a files section with a lot of resources.

Michael B
    BPL Member

@mikebergy

Plotting a route in Gaia would probably serve you as well as or better than an excel file- unsure if there might be a way with a free CalTopo account, but that might be an option as well.

DWR D
    BPL Member

@dwr-2

Thanks for your idea Michael… but I think the learning curve for one of those mapping apps would take longer than just entering numbers off a printed map into a spread sheet… And I have no other need for plotting a route on a mapping app on the JMT… the trail is well marked and I don’t think I would need the route outlined for me… IF I can’t follow that freeway of a trail without a plotted route I am in trouble…

But I do thank your for your ideas…

DWR

Michael B
    BPL Member

@mikebergy

Fair enough! I like the mapping to help me know when to plan rest stops before big climbs, and to help me pace myself properly, not necessarily for me to know where I am out of a fear of being lost. It is cheap insurance either way.

DWR D
    BPL Member

@dwr-2

Understood Micheal…   but not my style… for me, I stop when I feel like it and camp where I want, not on any schedule really. My mission with the spread sheet is purely to lay out the general progress in days so I know when and where to get my food dropped. Other than that, I have no interest in planning stops or even where I will camp on any given night (just so I’m close enough for the food drops on the right days). I first did the JMT back in the 80’s… before cell phones and before GPS or apps… and have repeated many sections of the JMT over the years. As well as the Sierra High Route also without a phone or GPS… I’m just trying to lay out the days in a general way and schedule food drops.

But thanks again… I do appreciate your suggestions…

DWR….

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Sounds like Ralph’s spreadsheet is the way to go. Yeah, the link I sent has too much data..lol

DWR D
    BPL Member

@dwr-2

Yeah… Ralph’s spread sheet is good… thank you Ralph!

AK Granola
    BPL Member

@granolagirlak

I have tried a bunch of planning techniques but other than the first few days and when/where we need to be on the last day, plus the right amount of food per day, it’s too much effort. What if where I planned to stop is overrun with other hikers? Or choked with mosquitoes? And I could move 2-3 miles and have a much better camp. So basically I figured campsites based on miles per day, and got my average. From there, other than days 1 and 2 (when we’re trying to sleep low to adjust to altitude) we probably won’t stick with the camps at all. Our group has agreed we’ll just confer each day over coffee to decide our goal. The only issue with this strategy is that someone has to remember what day it is!

Even if a tool like you describe existed (you could create one and sell it…) I think it might be overkill, at least for the way I hike. But it would be popular, no doubt.

DWR D
    BPL Member

@dwr-2

I totally agree Karen…

the only thing I am trying to do is plan my food drops… have to be at that time and place…

But  to do that I need to at least have an idea of the miles and number of days involved…

DWR…

Michael B
    BPL Member

@mikebergy

How much mileage and how much elevation are you hoping to do each day?

DWR D
    BPL Member

@dwr-2

I have a very different strategy than most…

I plan to get a lot of food drops and take as long as I can with many rest days to enjoy some pristine lakes and to break it up…

Probably a month or more :)))

DWR

Michael B
    BPL Member

@mikebergy

Oh wow! Ok, sounds like fun 👍 I’d be lucky to get the time to do the hike the “normal way”

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools