Topic

JMT Gear List

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists JMT Gear List

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Derek Weeks
    BPL Member

@lighting12

What am I missing or thought on my gear I’m using for the JMT August 26 start date. I have other backpacks I can use, but want to keep the weight down.

<script src=”https://lighterpack.com/e/8440tf”></script><div id=”8440tf”></div>

Derek Weeks
    BPL Member

@lighting12

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

That looks like a good list. I don’t see any pants or shorts :)

How about some liner gloves?

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

Are shirt and pants somewhere else on a “worn clothing” list?  A long-sleeve shirt plus a t-shirt and long pants plus a pair of shorts.

If your hands are cold when you hike, bring light gloves.  If gloves would only be for a windy pass or two, wear the extra pair of socks as mittens for those few hours.

Mini Bic for lighting the stove?  And maybe an extra in the repair kit?  A really handy 11 grams, when you need it.

Sunscreen and a bit of DEET in the First Aid/Repair kit?  No toiletries listed.  No toilet paper.

+1 on the umbrella.  Reduces the heat of the sun and the UV exposure.

Your big three are all very light options.  Test fit your food in the bear canister and the canister + everything else in the pack.

Derek Weeks
    BPL Member

@lighting12

Good catch! I added my sun gloves and MLD rain mitts. I’ve used them together early morning when it’s cold out.

Also forgot to add shorts and wind pants. I can also wear my capilene long underwear, if it’s too cold in the morning. I may switch out the shorts and wind pants for pants, if I see the bugs are going to be bad for that time of year.

I have a long sleeve railrider shirt, but didn’t have short in the description, sorry.

I have deet and small thing of  sunscreen in my first aid medical kit, but I will probably add more of both.

Toilet paper was in backpack when I weighed it but forgot to add but I didn’t add the  wet wipes which I need to.

Thanks for taking the time to comment and look over my gear! :-)

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

One more thought: are you taking a camera?

Keith Harris
    Spectator

@keithsharris

Have you included the fuel canister for the LiteMax stove? Maybe I overlooked it.

Derek Weeks
    BPL Member

@lighting12

I’m not sure if I’m just going to carry my phone or sony rx100, so I still need to add the weight and the weight of battery for the camera.

I didn’t add the fuel yet still need buy a new fuel canister to add the weight.

Sure wish I had bought the scout canister instead of the Weekender, but not sure I could get 5 days of food in the scout canister.

Thanks guys!

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

Yeah the Scout is really sweet. I can ‘just’ get five days of food in mine. It packs much better than a Weekender. That said, I brought a Weekender on a long section of the JMT too. Muir Ranch to Whitney may be too long for a Scout. But if your resupply points are five days apart, the Scout should work.

You could easily sell your Weekender here and use the funds for a Scout.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

A 110-gram canister will be 209 grams +/- 3 grams.

A 220-gram / 8-ounce canister is 375 +/- 5 grams.
    A 440-450-gram / 16-ounce canister is 625 +/- 8 grams.

The weight of two empty 110s is more than an empty 220, so if you need more than 110 grams, bring it in a 220.

The weight of an empty 110 plus an empty 220 is more than an empty 450-gram canister, so bring your fuel in a 450-gram canister if you need more than 12 ounces (actually you come out ahead if you need more than 11 ounces.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Not to derail but I had 10 days of food at ~3300 calories/day in my 11 liter BV500 leaving MTR. An Bearikade Scout is around 8 liter so you should be able to get a week’s worth into it if that’s enough calories for you.

Derek Weeks
    BPL Member

@lighting12

I may rent a scout my wife will kill me if I bought another bear canister. I can’t sale the Weekender, because I use that for short trips with the family.

Thank you for the fuel information that is very useful to know!

Thanks again guys!

Derek

Dave B
    BPL Member

@dave-b

Locale: Los Angeles area

The difference between the scout and the weekender is 3.4 ounces.  If I already owned the weekender, I would take the weekender.  Seems like the extra 3.4 ounces is worth it.  I’d only take the scout if I was going to do the distance between MTR and Whitney in six days or less.

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

It’s just, the Scout packs a lot better. they’re both great..

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools