Topic

JMT Gear List for September

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists JMT Gear List for September

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Jonathan Skiles
    BPL Member

@jonskiles

I will be starting a through-hike of the John Muir Trail 9/9.  This will be my 5th through-hike of the JMT but I am doing my best to lighten up my pack.  I would love any input you are willing to give.  Thanks.

https://lighterpack.com/r/6urp47

Jonathan Skiles
    BPL Member

@jonskiles

I did not include what I will be wearing.  I am wearing lightweight running shorts with a long sleeve “Only The Lightest” shirt, TrekSta Evolution trail runners and a sun hat.  My plan is to put on thermal bottoms under the shorts if it gets cold + wind pants if necessary.

Ross N
    BPL Member

@rnoble

Fifth time! Right on man!

List looks pretty solid. Only thing that sticks out is the Catalyst. Obviously packs aren’t cheap, but unless you need the extra space to carry a bear canister, you could replace it with something smaller/lighter.

Jonathan Skiles
    BPL Member

@jonskiles

Thanks Ross.  I have my fingers crossed the Ursack will be approved and a canister isn’t needed.  I agree there is a pound or more that could get shaved off the pack.  Thanks for taking a look!

Alex Wallace
    BPL Member

@feetfirst

Locale: Sierra Nevada North

Solid. However, your pack is the sore thumb here. No stakes? Doable for sure, but adds to the fiddle. You can probably drop the bug repellent in Sept. For fishing, C&R or did you plan on eating? If so, are you doing soups/poached? Personally, I’d go with a lighter thermal top (4 ounce range) for sleeping/layering and add a 100 wt fleece (6-7 ounces) for active insulation. If a storm settles in it can get pretty darn cold especially if you’re racing a pass. I’d swap, or add, a mini bic to your matches for fire. The new BeFree 1L water filter looks like a good upgrade from the Squeeze.

Have fun!

Jonathan Skiles
    BPL Member

@jonskiles

Thanks for the comments Alex.  I am swapping out the Catalyst pack for something smaller and lighter.  I am leaning towards a MLD Prophet.  The fishing gear will hopefully provide some protein.  Poaching with some Ramen soup is the plan.  I will be taking 6 titanium stakes.  Two are part of the caldera cone setup.  I need to add a little under an ounce for the other 4.  I will take the advice about layering to heart.  Sounds like a great idea.  I really appreciate the advice!!!

Derek Weeks
    BPL Member

@lighting12

Have you added a bear canister, if so which one will you be using?

Alex Wallace
    BPL Member

@feetfirst

@jonskiles “I will be starting a through-hike of the John Muir Trail 9/9.”

Are you starting in the Valley? I begin a 7 day trip on 9/8 to go goof around in the Ansel Adams Wilderness. We might cross paths.

Jonathan Skiles
    BPL Member

@jonskiles

I am.  I am going to be in the backpackers campground on the 8th and then starting from Happy Isles on the 9th.  Can’t wait!!!

Alex Wallace
    BPL Member

@feetfirst

@jonskiles, How was your trip? I’m curious how your gear & clothing worked out.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools