Topic

JMT beginning of August

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists JMT beginning of August

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Jiayin G
    BPL Member

@j-guo-2

Dear all,

I will go to JMT at the beginning of August. It is my first time to try a trail of this distance and adopt the concept of light backpacking in order to finish the trail maybe in a more comfortable way. I am a day-hiker, the longest trail I did is 16 mile in one day. For the camping which I do rarely, I bring about 33 lb to cover 12 mile. Uh… in quite different gears.

For the gear list, I am quite uncertain if doing it in a reasonable way. But it is the best I can plan after one week’s researching. I want to know your thinkings of it. The gear list in the following link

https://lighterpack.com/r/4ztbin

There are some items that I am not sure if I need them, I tag them “maybe not”. Any advise or comments will be appreciated.

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

That’s a fine list! I personally would do without:

plb–there will be plenty of people on this trail.

phone

rain pants

thermal bottom.

And, if you can possibly swing it, get a Bearikade weekender. All of this would save you a couple of pounds I think. Significant!

Jiayin G
    BPL Member

@j-guo-2

Sorry for the late reply. I agree with removing the rain pants, since I have extra underwear and quick dry pants, which can deal with rain with one day. Also maybe I do not need a thermal bottom in August, I did it just because most people I researched bring one.

For the Bearicade weekender v.s. BV 5000 I am still researching, since it seems I miss taking Bearicade into my consideration.

For the phone, I imagine that I can record things by writing on papers, navigate by using a compass and maps, which is quite old fashioned though I quite like it. But I still need to take some pictures for the first time using my phone at the price of bringing a large battery, which is inevitable.

Thank you for the suggestion.

Jiayin Guo

Greg F
    BPL Member

@gregf

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Your rain Coat and Fleece are quite heavy relative to alternatives.  Give JMT is relatively dry.

2oz medicine plus 2.4oz firsts aid seems Heavy.

Packcover and drybags together are unessassary.

A 1L ziplock is lighter than your dirty bag

you have no weight listed for your xtherm

Why do you need a buff and a warm hat?

get rid of rain pants

8oz is very heavy for .8L pot.  Grease pot is lighter and bigger.  Lots of better options here

Consider bringing sawyer backflush kit for a two week trip.

4oz head lamp is heavy if not night hiking

if you have a phone and a backup battery do you really need the maps

writimg untensils you have a phone.  If you are bringing 20oz in electronics you should be using them for as much as possible.

You have a PLB and a signil mirror on a busy trail.  I don’t like to question people’s safety equipment but I feel these are unnecessary for a super highway like the JMT.

Your tent is heavy and you could shave between 10 and 17 oz there but that is exPensive and comes with a loss of comfort.

Jonathan Skiles
    BPL Member

@jonskiles

If you are a warm sleeper the 30 degree bag should be OK for most nights.  If you are not a very warm sleeper you will probably have a number of uncomfortable nights.  It is not unusual to get down in the low 20’s or high teens, particularly on the second half of the trail.  Have a great time.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools