Topic

January AT Thru Hike

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) January AT Thru Hike

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    ncwild
    BPL Member

@ncwild

Locale: Western North Carolina

Anyone done an AT thru hike starting Jan/Feb.?  Pack size for winter weight?  Gear selection for winter start?  Ice spikes, of course, 0 degree bag, winter tent?  Do not want to start with the “droves” in March.  April a bit late to make Khatadin before mid October shut down.

BRYON L
    BPL Member

@pastor-bryon

Early_Riser_71 did. I think he started early/mid February this year. I found his videos engaging and helpful. Check out his YouTube channel as he does pre and post hike gear reviews and conditions on the trail each day.

HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

An acquaintance of mine started early Feb 2016 NOBO.  Ran into a couple nights at  ~ 5°F in the first 1 to 2 wks.

Thomas Willard
    BPL Member

@tomw

Locale: Philadelphia

Actually, April is a great time to start. The weather will be more moderate, and you can start and end with the same kit without having to swap anything out. I started April 2nd and only had 2 nights in the 30’s. You will be surprised at how much time you have. Most people take six months because they take 30 zeros. Lastly- someone on Whiteblaze does statistical analysis on Thru hiking completion rates. Those who start in the last week of March to the second week of April have the highest completion rate. Anyway- just wanted to dispel any myths on April being too late. In fact, prior to the social media age, April was the preferred month to start.

However, if you want to start in January, there is a young man named Sam Rush who started in January. He now works at Mountain Crossings. He had some pretty epic pictures of him battling the snow drifts and ice. He was probably one of the most prepared winter hikers I’ve seen on social media in a long time. May not hurt to call up Mountain Crossings and bend his ear.

lee kingry
    BPL Member

@leek2

Locale: Alabama and GSMNP North Carolina

Hi Tim, I usually do a 300 to 400 mile AT Southern section in January every other year or so, as its the time I have off from work, and I have a cabin right off the AT at the Smokies, this has included some very cold and sometimes snowy transverse of the Smokies. Send me a PM, I’ll be glad to call you and talk about gear and conditions if you would like.

ncwild
    BPL Member

@ncwild

Locale: Western North Carolina

Great info.  Thanks to all.

Jeff Jeff
    BPL Member

@jeffjeff

I haven’t been on the AT in over a decade, but I recall January being a great time to be on the southern section. People hike it year round so a January start shouldn’t deter you. Coldest night I had was -5 F on the GSMNP crest, so you do have to be prepared for cold even if it’s not that cold most days. The most fresh snowfall (not depth) I saw was 8 inches, which drifted up to 2 feet in places. It was easily manageable.

A winter tent is not at all necessary. The main features of a 4 season tent are wind resistance and minimal mesh on the body. Most of the AT is sheltered (unless you want to camp on something like Max Patch, which isn’t a bad idea!) so wind is not an issue. Shelters will be pretty empty if it gets really bad, and many have tarps on the opening for added protection. Blowing snow was pretty rare, so a mesh tent will do fine.

Pack size and sleeping bag is more of a personal choice, so go with what works for your plans.

Serge Giachetti
    BPL Member

@giachett

Locale: boulder, co

I think that’s a great time if year to hike the AT. It’ll just be more adventurous conditions and less people.

If it were me I’d start with a neo air xtherm or similar warm pad and a 0ish degree quilt, and a nice fleece midlayer in addition to a puffy. I’ve been using a rab flash jacket which would be perfect for hiking in those cold/wet conditions. It’s a high loft grid fleece with high warmth per weight and breathability. Full zip and it weighs 9 oz in a large. Kind of random suggestion, but it’s such a great piece for those conditions,  I thought I’d mention it.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools