Topic

It's Official: Norcal GGG XII March 13-15, 2020

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips It's Official: Norcal GGG XII March 13-15, 2020

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 78 total)
  • Author
    David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

Locale: Northern California

Calling all Gear Geeks to the 12th annual Gathering!

I have reserved the traditional and hallowed Manzanita Point Site #5 at Henry W. Coe State Park,  Friday 3/13/20 – Sunday 3/15/20.

Water, firewood, TP, latrine lighting and hand sanitizer will be provided, as well as all supplies required for the various burn offs except canisters. $15 per person.

Shout out to Steve S. for getting things started and helping out!

Events will include

• wood stove burn off for speed
    • alcohol burn offs for speed and efficiency
    • esbit burn offs for speed and efficiency (new)
    • canister stove burns offs for speed and efficiency (new)
    • lightest complete alcohol, esbit (new), wood (new) and canister (new) cook kits (stove, pot, lid, windscreen, fuel container, source of ignition, and stuff sack/container)
    • lightest saw capable of cutting through a douglas fir 2Ă—2
    • fastest saw under 8 oz. to cut through a douglas fir 2Ă—2
    • lightest knife with at least a 1.5″ blade
    • shelter tour

I’ll add “lightest _____” in any other category that is suggested! I was also thinking it would be cool if people signed up to give demonstrations of various skills, such as knot tying, tarp pitching, hammock hanging, first aid, alcohol stove fabrication, and….?

Hope to see many old friends and make new ones.

Marc Eldridge
    BPL Member

@meld

Locale: The here and now.

I have a bunch of wood to donate and also can bring water. Let me know.

David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

@Marc: Great. When can you get there Friday? We’re only allowed 2 vehicles to go the the site and they can only go in at the beginning and out at the end. PM me so we can coordinate. And thanks!

At the suggestion of Rene R. I’m adding the following events: lightest frame pack, vest, beverage carbonator, and “sitting apparatus” (two categories: with legs and without).

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

Lightest “beverage carbonator”?

I’d say “it” wins!!! :)

like I said previously I can’t make it but I will miss this bunch. Have a great time!

R
    Spectator

@autox

David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

@Rene: I like the concept of “lightest knife per inch of blade” with a minimum blade length of 1.5″!

Steve S.
    BPL Member

@wildegeek

I like the idea of a knots contest. The winner would be the person who could demonstrate the most different legitimate knots in some fixed amount of time.

David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

@Steve S: That’s “knot” a bad idea. It’s on! I’ll bring some cordage.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

I like the knot-tying contest idea. Maybe have twenty to thirty 18-inch lengths of paracord (or UL 2mm cord) and see how far they can get. And maybe some dowels or just a found branch or the legs of someone’s chair for knots like a clove hitch or timber hitch that go around an object.

That way, there’s a pile of knots on the table that can be checked and counted afterwards.

Two minutes seems about the right amount of time.

David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

@David Thomas: Dood – two minutes? It takes me that long just to remember how to tie a bowline! Well, not really, but still…

On the other hand, I only use a few knots for everything: square knot, bowline, trucker’s hitch, taut line hitch, and universal monofilament knot for fishing. Maybe five minutes.

I’ll bring cordage. We’ll use the 12″ pieces of 2×2 doug fir for the knots before we use them in the wood burn off. Multiple use!

Post-contest display of the finished knots is a great idea. And contestants showing how they tied them (I know of at least two common ways to tie a bowline: my preferred “over-under-around-and-through” method and the “bunny around the hole” method).

Anyone who ties a granny knot while trying for a square knot will automatically be DQ’ed!

Erik G
    BPL Member

@fox212

Locale: Central Coast

I’m in, as usual!

Happy to shuttle in water, firewood, libations, etc. if needed. @gearmaker – hit me up if you need some support.

David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

@fox212: Great Erik! Glad you can be there and help out. Sent you a PM.

Steve S.
    BPL Member

@wildegeek

For the knot contest, one question would be whether to organize it in parallel, or serially. By that I mean, whether to have several or even all contestants tying their knots at the same time (parallel), or whether to have each contestant work alone and against the clock (serial).

Parallel advantages: It’ll feel more like a race, and it will take less time out of the day.

Parallel disadvantages: It will require a lot more rope and other supplies.

Serial advantages: It will require fewer pieces of rope, the crowd can more carefully watch what each contestant is doing.

Serial disadvantages: The later people may learn new knots (or remember some they forgot) and could have an advantage over the earlier people, and the who contest would take longer.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

Serial advantage: more catcalling and cheerleading opportunities.

If someone learns how to do a sheepshank from watching me tie one in 4 seconds, more power to them.

But perhaps there is a memory advantage to going later – “Oh, yeah, I know that one, I just didn’t remember that I knew it” – an experience we all have more often now.

Bruce Tolley
    BPL Member

@btolley

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Please BPLers do not import firewood into Henry Coe State Park. It is probably a violation of the use permit and such importation increases the risk of introducing the fungus that causes Sudden Oak Death Syndrome to the park.

The volunteer association that basically runs and maintains the park will be happy to sell you bundles of locally harvested wood. So it is a win win for the park and the trees not to import wood.

David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

Hey Bruce,

Thanks for your important reminder. It’s my understanding that bringing in lumber pieces and/or scraps is OK though. Is that right?

Bruce Tolley
    BPL Member

@btolley

@David,
    If it is kiln dried lumber that might be OK since in theory the heat should kill the pathogen. The greatest concern has been about firewoods (oak, pine, bay, fir ) harvested and then transported.

Let me check with someone who knows more than I do. I was talking with the senior environmental manager at MidPen Open Space in November and he seemed up to date on all the latest science.

Richard Niemi
    BPL Member

@rickniemi

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains

Didn’t the park service haul in the wood we brought last year? If so that would mean it’s okay to bring wood.

Steve S.
    BPL Member

@wildegeek

@btolley wrote:

Please BPLers do not import firewood into Henry Coe State Park. It is probably a violation of the use permit and such importation increases the risk of introducing the fungus that causes Sudden Oak Death Syndrome to the park.

I strongly agree the most eco-friendly practice, and the one that best supports maintenance operations in the park, is to use the locally-harvested wood sold at the park. But according to the web site maintained by the volunteer organization, importing wood is not prohibited.

Bruce Tolley
    BPL Member

@btolley

I am not privy to how Henry Coe makes its policies. Policy making is usually a trade off between access/recreation by humans versus protection/conservation of the ecosystem.

Just because import of wood is not prohibited does not mean there is zero risk. Some land management agencies are asking visitors to clean thier footwear upon entry and exit of the open space.

I’ll check with someone who knows more than I do. Perhaps now that they have discovered that California Bay Trees, and other native species, are also vectors but immune to the pathogen, allowing imported wood increases the risk of Sudden Oak Death spreading only marginally.

Cheers

Manfred
    BPL Member

@orienteering

Thanks David, for organizing! The competitions sound like a lot of fun :)  Would love to come, but have family obligations on that weekend.

Doug Coe
    BPL Member

@sierradoug

Locale: Bay Area, CA, USA

Yes—thank you, David, for organizing this event! I’ll be there. This will give me an incentive to get moving on my myog backpack project.

David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

@Doug: Glad you can make it! I look forward to seeing your MYOG pack. I’m trying to make a dedicated DCF alpha shelter (= not using my poncho) in time for the event.

Doug Coe
    BPL Member

@sierradoug

Locale: Bay Area, CA, USA

David—Looking forward to seeing your new myog shelter…if you get it done!

David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

@Doug: The CF poles came last week, I picked up grommets and wire nuts over the weekend, the 3M 9472LE pressure activated adhesive tape came Monday, and the DCF arrived yesterday. It will be done! Trying to decide on the peak vent design, which might come later. Estimate 12 oz.

Didn’t even know DCF could be had in camouflage. I’ll have to be careful where I pitch it!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 78 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools