Topic

It’s happening (hopefully)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning It’s happening (hopefully)

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

I have been winter storm watching… waiting for a good opportunity.. the right timing.. to head into the Catskills.. This could be my first taste of winter camping, so I will probably be heading out there Sunday morning early.. hike in a few miles to a spot I have been wanting to camp at.. make camp just as snow starts to fall.. ride out the storm Sunday night and Monday.. and then snow shoe out Tuesday late morning/early afternoon.. not sure which tent I will bring for this, but it should be a good time either way.. things can change.. but as of now, here is forcast.. 

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

Dan Quixote
    BPL Member

@dan_quixote

Locale: below the mountains (AK)

Sounds fun, love your sense of adventure: “it’s going to dump some snow; I know, I’ll go out into the middle of it” is not how most folks think, even on BPL. Definitely take before and after pictures of your campsite and any notable landmarks along the way out there!

Justin W
    Spectator

@light2lighter

Nice.  I’m surprised that the lows aren’t going to be lower for that area. Must be the warm front is also going through there like it is here.

I live a couple states or so under (aka south) of there.  I like going out during the somewhat rare “polar vortexes” we get.  Mostly because there are usually less people on the AT then (there have been some exceptions to this rule/trend though). One winter, I went out with lows around -5 F with a quilt and a heat reflective tarp (combo of “polycryo” and something like mylar space blankets). It was mostly ok, but after that trip, I sewed a very wind resistant UL nylon fabric to the quilt as a sleeve to get into. Definitely works better now for those colder temps, though not much extra weight nor bulk added.

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

My life can be very monotonous.. the alarm clock rings 5 days a week.. sometimes 6 days.. at 3:45 am.. to the minute I get up, get ready, leave my house, drive to train station and park in almost the same spot.. get on train at 4:40 am.. get to pen station at 6 am.. walk 1.7 miles to work.. leave work at 3:45 pm.. jog/run to pen station to catch 4:09 train home.. get home at 6 pm.. repeat 5- 6 days a week.. i crave the adventure!! It might not be k2 Alpinism or even close, but it is what i have and what I am capable of doing.. I just love being out there and if its nasty and risky then it makes it more satisfying. Most people dont get it and always ask why. I dont have any real answers.. it just when you know YOU KNOW. I have the gear and experience and knowledge, also the will.. sure things happen and things could go wrong, especially when we become complacent because it becomes so normal.. “But risks must be taken, because the greatest hazard in life is to risk nothing” .. William Arthur Ward.

I definitely will take pictures and my usual video.. i just hope the snow happens!!

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

Should be all snow at higher elevations..  All packed and set to leave tomorrow morning at 8. Should be at trail head by 11:30 ish.. and hiking in!  Decided to bring my Black Diamond Highlight 2P with vestibule.. a little more comfort and room to hunker down in..

James F
    BPL Member

@gijoe44

Tent?  You don’t need no tent, tarp and bivy.

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

Love my tarp and bivy.. but this one riding out in the tent.

Hopearotie
    BPL Member

@hopearotieyahoo-com

@Dirtbag

Hell yes 🙌

Have fun and be safe out there.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools