Topic

Itinerary selection – How did it go?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Scouting Philmont Itinerary selection – How did it go?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    ed dzierzak
    BPL Member

@dzierzak

Locale: SE

So, how did it go? We have two crews for 613 and each lead advisor got on early and watched the countdown. Crew 1 got the Itinerary page, entered choices, waited for the “Save” button, and clicked it. And waited, and waited, and waited…..

Crew 2 did the login and wait, and then it died. He was not able to get back in. Crew 1 had another computer available and so was able to login Crew 2, enter choices, and immediately got a response. Crew 2 notified by text message from Crew 1. Crew 1 still waiting.

Longer story short, Crew 1 logged out and back in 3 times before actually getting the “Save” button to work. Both crews got their first choice.

And, almost an hour and a half later, neither can get past the login page to print a roster…

Edgar M
    Spectator

@edgarm

Although the login was slow, the selection process and save button responded almost immediately.  It did take about 20-30 second for the site to tell us which itinerary we got.  Despite clicking “save” within a second of our allotted time, we got our second choice (#22).  I’m fine with that.  I consider it a better fit with the expressed interests of our boys.

I had no problem logging back in and printing a roster.

If it make any difference, I’m using a current version of Windows and Firefox browser.

Jon McCoid
    BPL Member

@my5kidsdad

Locale: California's Central Coast

We have 2 crews going on 6/30.  Crew 2 was submitted first and ended up with their 3rd choice with Itinerary #3.  Interestingly, when Crew #1 was submitted after Crew #2, they received their first choice of #23, which was the same as Crew #2 first choice.  The guys will be happy with any of their choices.  There was strong interest in all six of their choices.

The system was very slow in responding (over a minute per page).  I have not been able to log back in since.  I am also using Firefox and Windows, so it just looks like the system is still heavily impacted.

Aubrey W. Bogard
    BPL Member

@bogardaw

Locale: TX

I ended up actually logging in with my iPhone and selecting the itineraries after the server timed out multiple times on my computer.  Our Crew, 708-B, got #4, which was their first choice.

Nate Ward
    BPL Member

@tdaward

Locale: The woods of the South

Must have been a similar issue for everyone….got kicked off….long login…got back on….got second choice…617B Iten 18.  Wanted 23 but that was a dream!  Going to places I have never been so that’ll be cool.

Jeff Long
    BPL Member

@jslindy01

Logged in a couple of hours ahead of time, updated some roster info, and left the computer until time to enter the list of itinerary’s.  Entered the list in the five minute prior period and then hit the ‘Save’ button when it activated.  System immediately replied back that we had gotten our first choice.  718-P is on #22.

ed dzierzak
    BPL Member

@dzierzak

Locale: SE

PSR site:

Itinerary Selection Update

Tuesday, April 19th – 7:30PM: If you participated in the 2016 Philmont itinerary selection process Tuesday, we thank you very much for your patience. Despite weeks of testing, our system performed significantly slower than we expected. Some priorities were submitted a second or less after itinerary selection opened but took over an hour to process. Throughout Tuesday we carefully monitored the Gateway and verified that priority submissions were indeed processed in the order they were first submitted. No feedback was provided while submissions were being processed. While waiting for the Gateway to make assignments, some users were logged out and then logged back in to view their priorities page. The itinerary priorities page remained blank until the Gateway fully processed a user’s submission. This encouraged some users to make multiple itinerary submissions. Only the original itinerary submission was recorded, meaning that repeated submissions were discarded once the original submission was processed. By lunch time, the Gateway had fully caught up and had assigned more than 1,900 itineraries.

As Tuesday progressed, we resolved another isolated bug that generated a “Whoops” page when some Lead Advisors tried to login after they had received an itinerary assignment.

You can find your itinerary assignment at the top of your roster page. If you have questions please feel free to give us a call: 575-376-2281

This is the first year Philmont has hosted the April itinerary selection process within the Roster Gateway. We are already utilizing feedback from this year’s itinerary selection process to improve itinerary selection in future years.

Steve G
    BPL Member

@groversan

Locale: Middle East-Levant

Luckily, we got our second choice immediately upon submitting our priorities — no glitches.  We are very happy with Itin 20 to the Valle Vidal!  It’s a long-time dream for me to go to Philmont.  I hope everyone gets an itinerary they enjoy.

Michael C
    Spectator

@sbillinimike

Worked well for me.  We are group 715-D.  Got our first selection, Itinerary 5.  Had logged in ahead of time and watched all the count downs.  It took a bit of time after I hit save but not more than 5 minutes.  I’d say it worked pretty slick for us.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools