Topic

Issues with sluggish CalTopo

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Issues with sluggish CalTopo

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    lisa r
    BPL Member

@lisina10

Locale: Western OR

Lately when I try to use CalTopo on my laptop to  plot routes I find it runs extremely slowly to the point of being essentially unusable. I’m wondering if this is a hardware issue or a CalTopo issue. I haven’t noticed my computer lagging on anything else. Has anyone else experienced this?

Adam Salinger
    BPL Member

@asalinger

Haven’t noticed and I’ve been all over CalTopo for the last 72 hours.

PaulW
    BPL Member

@peweg8

Locale: Western Colorado

I’m not having Caltopo issues either. On your laptop, Caltopo is a web based app. A few things to check to narrow this down: 1) Does this happen using a different browser? 2) What about on a different computer? 3) How about on a different internet connection? Go to a local coffee shop or library and try it. 4) Try clearing cookies and cache from whatever browser you’re using. 5) Have you contacted Caltopo support yet?

Good luck

lisa r
    BPL Member

@lisina10

Locale: Western OR

The recent times I’ve experienced the sluggishness were when I was trying to map out bike routes from home, so trying to add lines around town and local parks. Last night I hopped on to update a backpacking route and didn’t have any issues with it. I’m wondering if it has something to do with the volume of data required for it to populate the local map (which is full of streets and trails that turn on yellow when I click to add a line) compared to the wilderness map (which has many fewer trails). Or perhaps that was just a coincidence. I’ll contact support if it keeps happening…

Bruce Tolley
    BPL Member

@btolley

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

+ 1 to what Paul said

When my internet gets really slow, I check the status of my two different data backup routines. Sure enough, one of them is running.  Also check various apps that might be auto-updating.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools