Topic

Issues with Gaia

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Issues with Gaia

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    lisa r
    BPL Member

@lisina10

Locale: Western OR

I’ve been using the Gaia app happily for year. In the last couple months, however, it has started to be unreliable. I’ve been having issues with it loading maps and routes during both on and offline use. A quick online search reveals I am not alone in these issues and I’m starting to wonder if it’s time to try something else. How do folks feel about the CalTopo app for navigation? I’ve been using CalTopo on my computer for trip planning for years but have never checked out the app. Wondering how user friendly it is and if they offer the same or comparable map layers I’ve come to enjoy with Gaia (esp. private land, slope angle, USGS topo, Gaia topo, high resolution satellite/World Imagery)…And is there any hope Gaia will get its act back together?

Alex Wallace
    BPL Member

@feetfirst

Locale: Sierra Nevada North

Before you give up on Gaia, try clearing the cache in the app (settings/storage/clear cache). When offline, I was having an issue where some map layers (Gaia Topo, sat w/ contours) wouldn’t render when zooming in/out. Clearing the cache seemed to fix it.

NoCO-Jim
    BPL Member

@noco-jim

Locale: NoCO

I’ve been using CalTopo off-grid for several years without a hiccup.  Just bushwhacked this weekend to the summit of Poudre Peak, off grid, using CalTopo for navigation…went fine.  Many layers on CalTopo duplicate Gaia.

PaulW
    BPL Member

@peweg8

Locale: Western Colorado

Lisa, have you contacted Gaia support yet? They’re not always quick to respond, but they’ve always had a solution to, or a workaround for, my issues. FWIW, I’m not having any Gaia issues right now.  Regarding the Caltopo app, you’ll find varying opinions on this, but as far as usability and map layers, I much prefer Gaia.  Since it sounds like you’re already a Caltopo subscriber,  just download the app and test it out.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools