Topic

Isle Royale National Park in August

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Isle Royale National Park in August

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Russ W
    BPL Member

@gatome83

Locale: Southeastern US

After 5 years of doing summer adventures in CA, MT, ID, UT, I’ve decided to try a different flavor this year by planning a 10-day adventure at Isle Royale National Park in upper-upper Michigan.  I’m reading various blogs and info sources, but my best go-to for relevant information has always been BPL.  I’m flying to Houghton, MI, and flying via float plane to Rock Harbor on August 19, departing via Rock Harbor on August 28, so about 9 days of hiking, 120 miles plus or minus.  Here are my questions:

If you were planning a 9-day trip, what would your optimal route look like. All backpacking, no kayaking.  I’m assuming I’ll briefly hit Windigo on day 4 or 5, for washing, refueling and heading back out again, but not 100% necessary.
    Water protection –  I’ve been successfully using a Katadyn BeFree and Aqua Mira combination, or a Steripen.  I’m hearing things about moose droppings and tapeworms, and the need to be overly cautious about filtration and treatment.  What has been your experience?
    Food – The idea of a mid-trip food drop sounds really appealing, but all I can gather is I can send a non-food package to Windigo or Rock Harbor, and it might sit on the dock. I’m considering going light on breakfast, lunch, snacks and resupplying from the store at Windigo if my route includes Windigo.  Does that sound about right?
    Fishing – I understand fishing from land isn’t overly fabulous, and that shouldn’t be the main point of the trip.  Is that good intel? I can borrow a Tenkara setup; is the juice worth the squeeze?
    Bug protection – I’ll treat clothes with permethrin, bring DEET, bring a face net.  Third week in August shouldn’t be too bad, right?
    Planning for temps in the 75-80 high, and 35-45 low?  Lake Superior will be a cool swim?
    Main Equipment – Planning on using a DCF TT ProTrail, EE 30 degree quilt, Thermorest Neoair Xlite, a BRS 3000 canister stove (fuel available on island). I’ll bring a puffy of some sort, light base layer for sleeping, probably Frog Togg jacket and umbrella for rain gear, short pants and short-sleeve tee for hiking, BD Alpine Hoody for cool hiking.  Pack will likely be a MLD Prophet or Northern Ultralight (something in the 40-45 liter range).  See anything of these main components that stand out as stupid to you?
    Any insight you can provide is greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the help – Russ

David Noll
    BPL Member

@dpnoll

Locale: Maroon Bells

Sorry for the late reply but my wife and I have been on the road for three weeks with very little internet access. Your plan looks pretty good. My wife and I spent a week there a few years ago. Great hiking. I would forget about fishing and for a filter they recommend a regular type filter because of the tapeworms. We used a gravity filter setup on our trip. Your clothes ( bring a LS shirt) and sleeping gear look good as does your resupply plan. We did the Minong trail and absolutely loved it. Lake Superior is always cold but there are some warmer bays.

End of Trip

Ken Larson
    BPL Member

@kenlarson

Locale: Western Michigan

If you were planning a 9-day trip, what would your optimal route look like.

>>>Minong Trail some time in your hike route as you will find it a bit more challenging compared to the other trails with more solitude.

August 19, departing via Rock Harbor on August 28.

>>>You hit the busiest part of the season.

If you were planning a 9-day trip, what would your optimal route look like. All backpacking, no kayaking.  I’m assuming I’ll briefly hit Windigo on day 4 or 5, for washing, refueling and heading back out again, but not 100% necessary.
    Water protection –  I’ve been successfully using a Katadyn BeFree and Aqua Mira combination, or a Steripen.

>>>All surface lake and stream water should either be boiled at a rolling boil for at least one minute or passed through at least a 0.4 micron water filter (shown here) and disinfected using chemical treatment. SteriPENs and other UV purifiers have not been manufacturer-tested for hydatid tapeworm, a common parasite found in Isle Royale waters and cannot be considered effective.

Food – The idea of a mid-trip food drop sounds really appealing, but all I can gather is I can send a non-food package to Windigo or Rock Harbor, and it might sit on the dock.

>>>If your sending food, send it in care of the stores.

Fishing – I understand fishing from land isn’t overly fabulous, and that shouldn’t be the main point of the trip.  Is that good intel? I can borrow a Tenkara setup; is the juice worth the squeeze?

>>>Fishing is fabulous if you get away from shore in a boat…..Northern  Pike, Yellow Perch & Lake Trout predominant species.

Bug protection – I’ll treat clothes with permethrin, bring DEET, bring a face net.  Third week in August shouldn’t be too bad, right?

>>>Correct, but in low wet areas you will encounter mosquitoes.

Planning for temps in the 75-80 high, and 35-45 low?  Lake Superior will be a cool swim?

>>>Water should be ok to swin in….. August water temp in run 50 – 40 degrees and a bit warmer near shore at times.

Main Equipment – Planning on using a DCF TT ProTrail, EE 30 degree quilt, Thermorest Neoair Xlite, a BRS 3000 canister stove (fuel available on island).

>>>The stores sells throughout the years many brands and they all usually are in 8oz size. I heard they are selling STERNO iso-butane and that is as good as MSR…..many PAST issues with COLEMAN so stay away from that brand.

I’ll bring a puffy of some sort, light base layer for sleeping, probably Frog Togg jacket and umbrella for rain gear, short pants and short-sleeve tee for hiking, BD Alpine Hoody for cool hiking.

>>>Hike in long pants and shirt OR shorts & gator…..though I have seen many women in hiking skirts. Umbrella not needed. Long sleeved shirt will be more useful than the BD Alpine Hoody and a PATAGONIA NANO-AIR Vest (60g Toray 3Dfx+ Insulation) (0.56clo)  – (7.6oz) over light 100wt pile I recommend to the puffy.

Russ W
    BPL Member

@gatome83

Thank you so much for the insight….I really appreciate your knowledge and time. So here’s what I gleaned:

• Water Treatment – Will use a Katadyn BeFree, with Micro Pure as a backup; leave Steripen at home.
    • Fishing – Inner island fishing is no bueno…leave the rod at home.
    • Minong Trail – Check!  I’ll spend 2.5 day on the return from Rock Harbor.
    • Food – I’m just going to pack my dinners and go light on snacks and lunch and resupply with junk from Windigo.
    • Bug Protection – I’ll carry a modest amount of DEET and a head net.
    • Fuel – I was hoping to get small size at Rock Harbor, and then rinse and repeat at Windigo instead of carrying fuel for the entire trip.  If Esbit and alcohol are out play, there is no choice, right?
    • Clothes – Ken, it sounds like you think I’m over-packing on the clothes, and to be honest I was being conservative. In light of your comments, I will reconsider a few things. Good advice.

Total miles are about 120, with 2.5 days on the Minong Trail. A couple of 14.5 mile days. Some folks on the Isle Royale subreddit thought that sounded aggressive, but with trails and relatively modest elevation gains, I just don’t see the concern. What am I missing?

Again, thanks for taking the time to comment. Much appreciated.

Ken Larson
    BPL Member

@kenlarson

Locale: Western Michigan

The Minong trail is the hardest trail on the island, with the west end having the most up and downs. Beavers and a fire have presented the west end a challenging area of trail from the Huginnin Cove trail  intersection heading east for ~5mi to Lake Desor for years. They have put quite a bit of the trail underwater. Be prepared for some wet walking and many have gotten lost in this area. When you check in at Windigo, ask the ranger about water on the Minong. They are the repository of information for the people coming and going. Many people choose to do the Minong from east to west to save the hardest part for the empty pack and tuned up legs, so you may have some good info from people coming off the trail if you plan to take the Minong back to Rock Harbor rather than the Feldtmann Ridge loop trail.

“2.5 days on the Minong Trail.”…… PLAN on 3 days if you start the Minong from McCargo Cove.

Huginnin Cove trail intersection east heading

Jeff
    BPL Member

@jkpaulsen

Re: fuel, check with the people waiting to take the plane back to the mainland. Often they’ll have canisters they haven’t used and can’t take home.

Re: resupply. I visited in early September, and my recollection is that the store was pretty picked over (or at least the booze was). I’m not sure when they start tapering down their inventory in preparation for the end of the season. It may be worth a quick call to the rangers before you decide between sending food ahead and shopping in Windigo.

Re: trails. They aren’t necessarily hard but there are a lot of ups and downs, and it can get hotter than you expect up on the ridges.

Russ W
    BPL Member

@gatome83

David- I just caught the picture link you attached. Man those pics are great and judging from the smiling faces you had a wonderful time. Thanks for including.

Jeff – Good advice. I understand the Minong Trail was closed until 6/15 of this year for much needed maintenance. I will take caution. Also, it sounds like the store will likely be somewhat sparse so I’ll call and check. Good advice.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools