Topic

Is the TT Stratospire Li too big for the AT?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Is the TT Stratospire Li too big for the AT?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Steve H
    Spectator

@hop

Hi, new member here.  Must say, I am impressed with he aggregate wealth of knowledge here!  And I would appreciate your input on a question I’m wrestling with:

Is the pitch space requirement for the TT SS Li prohibitive (or significantly problematic) for areas in the southern Appalachians, Pisgah NF, Smokies & lower AT sections?

(I prefer the space this shelter affords over the Notch Li, the side entry over the Protrail Li, & the DW over the Aeon Li).

Thank you,

Steve

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

Locale: Kentucky

No. I use a shelter with a bigger footprint than the Stratospire in those areas and never have a problem. You’ll be fine.

Steve H
    Spectator

@hop

Thank you Ben!

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Steve,

I have a Tarptent Moment DW and use it in some pretty cramped places here in Nevada’s mountains with no problems. The Moment DW is “about” the same width as the SS1 so it  should be no problem. But the SS2 Li might be a problem once in a blue moon.

You can always pitch one of the vestibules into “unusable” ground and just use one door/vestibule. I’ve even done that once with my skinny Notch Li. Hey, If I can get my floor on a level space not much else matters unless I’m forced to cook in a vestibule.

Steve H
    Spectator

@hop

Thanks Eric.  Your shelters provide a nice perspective here.  My dilemma, at least regarding shelter, is I have a heavy Nemo 3P for my wife & I & have been borrowing 1p/2p shelters for almost all my outings with friends – usually setting up two or three tents per campsite.  I haven’t yet ventured into solo (but certainly may).  I’m just now getting back into backpacking (cranky knee but otherwise fit) due to the innovations in weight savings (translation= I hope to carry closer to 25 lbs than my old 45 lbs).

I have really been leaning toward the Notch Li since my primary need is a solo shelter; but a Stratospire Li, given it’s respectable weight, could potentially function as both my solo shelter & 2p with wife (get a little deeper into the mountains).

So, my decision is do I get a Notch Li for me & come back later to replace my Nemo – addressing my current & primary need, or just get the SS Li (which may be more challenging particularly if I’m often sharing a campsite with mates?  Also, I’m really focused on weight – so that’s in favor of the Notch Li.  Regarding your Notch Li, what sleeping pad do you use?  I’ve been in communication with Henry at TT & he said a 72×25 with (just) fit but not a longer wide – but I’m wondering if a longer wide mummy pad (Sea to Summit Ether Light) might work as well – given its the corners that interfere with the bathtub floor.  If I were to go with the SS Li I’d go rectangular & get a 25 wide & 20 wide for my wife & I & just use either when I’m solo.  But if I get the Notch Li my option are 1) 25×72 rectangle – Nemo Tensor or S2S Ether; 2) 25×72 Women’s S2S Ether Light Long.

I’d greatly appreciate any thoughts on this.  Notch Li now for pitch space (w/ mates) & if so which ‘wide’ pad?  Or Stratospire Li now because the pitch space is not prohibitive?  And yes – thanks for the reminder that there is certainly flexibility with collapsing the vestibules – with either shelter.

I really appreciate your thoughts!  Steve H

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Steve,

That Nemo Tensor will be good for 3 season camping but you need at least R 5 rating for winter so if you take the Nemo also take a closed cell foam pad to put under it.

Steve H
    Spectator

@hop

Thanks Eric.  Yeah, I’m looking at the Tensor Alpine (4.8) or Ether Light Extreme (6.2? due out next spring) for a year round pad (& then maybe pick up a Klymit or similar if I need a summer pad).  Just wish I could pitch the Notch Li in a store, inflate various pads & try the fit – like the old days.

John “Jay” Menna
    BPL Member

@jaymenna78734

Locale: 30.3668397,-97.7399123

My wife and I use the Stratophire Li.  We use a exped duo double mat ( Or a drop/klymit) and a EE accomplice quit.  There are 3 or 4inches in either side to fit larger pads.  We bring 1/2 of our gear into the Li at night,  the rest fits in the very room vestibules nicely.  We “downsized” from  a Triplex.     I prefer the Statosphire

Steve H
    Spectator

@hop

Thanks John “Jay”.  I recall one of your earlier posts about always reaching for the Stratospire Li when in your gear closet.  I appreciate the insight.  Perhaps I’ll end up with a Notch Li for solo (if I can get the pad figured out) & the SS Li for my wife & I – like you guys.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools