Topic

is it possible to convert single zipper to a double pull?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear is it possible to convert single zipper to a double pull?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

I scored a nice buy on a pair of Patagonia military rain pants, they would be even nicer if the did zips were double pull. I have no intention of ripping out the existing zipper, but thought there might be a way to add a second pull to convert them to double pull.

Thanks

Philip Tschersich
    BPL Member

@philip-ak

Locale: Kodiak Alaska

If you google “zipper slider repair” you will see some zipper sliders that start as 2 halves that you can sandwich down onto the coils. The only thing you have to do is match the slider to the zipper you have. I think the zipper number is generally the width of the closed zipper in millimeters. I don’t know what your zipper looks like, but if you want to add an opening where there is none currently, that could get dicey as you have to ‘break’ the closed zipper open and then get the new slider on there. A pic of what you wanted to accomplish would help.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

I’m not sure a picture will help, but I’ll take a stab at being more succinct :)

the pants have side zips (roughly 3/4 of the way up), there is single pull at the bottom- this allows you to unzip to get over your boots, zipping back down closes the zipper

what I was hoping is to be able to also unzip from the top (with a second pull) to open the zipper to let heat out if needed

I know the entire zipper can be replaced, but not worth the time/effort/cost to do that for me.

Philip Tschersich
    BPL Member

@philip-ak

Locale: Kodiak Alaska

Well, if you order a ‘repair’ slider, you can practice installing it below the current one (on the open end of the zipper) to see if the zipper likes the idea. If that works, you can fiddle the upper/closed section of zipper open (above the current slider) and toss the ‘repair’ slider in there. There must be a million videos on youtube on installing these replacement sliders. I don’t have direct experience with them, but they are designed for this purpose.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

There seems to be some confusion here. The term ‘double pull slider’ usually means there is a pull tab on both sides of the single slider. I think the OP wants a ‘double ended’ zipper instead. To the best of my knowledge, the zipper itself remains the same; it’s just an extra slider at the other end.

However, putting a second slider in at the top end might be a bit messy. You would need to undo the small clip holding the top end together. Whether the slider could fit over the end of the zip would depend on the details of the end.

Cheers

Steofan M
    BPL Member

@simaulius

Locale: Bohemian Alps
    Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

my zipper terminology is evidently lacking :)

what I would like is two sliders so I can run one to the bottom after putting on the pants, one that would remain at the top so I can pull it down when the need arises to vent heat out of the upper leg area

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Hi Mike

Well, then, let’s get creative. Instead of hassling over zipper sliders, how about you unzip the leggings all the way , gather up the now-loose leggings, and tuck them up out of the way? Or tie them up out of the way? You could even fit a couple of bungee loops somewhere to hold the rolled-up leggings near your waist.

Cheers

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Roger- that would work when it quits raining, I’m thinking more along the lines of dumping a little heat on the move at the upper thighs where rain getting in is less likely

Mike

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

maybe sew on some velcro at the bottom so you can unzip, then connect the velcro

that’s small enough you could even hand sew if you didn’t have a machine

try it on one side and see if you like it, rip it back off if you don’t like it

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Jerry- Velcro would work, but I would need quite a bit, would want it to go to above the knees, even mid thigh

I envisioned (with the right zipper- if it exists) being able to unzip roughly 6-12” from the top to let a little heat out on the move, still giving me full rain pant protection below

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Hi Mike

We only put on our rain pants in heavy rain with high wind when it is close to freezing (or in bad weather in the snow!), so xs heat is not a problem for us. Otherwise we just let our Taslan trousers get wet – we know they will dry out very quickly when the rain stops.

Cheers

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Roger- backpacking I typically use sil chaps, nice and light and obviously breathe well- my pants will get wet in areas, but like you I know they will dry relatively quick.

These pants were purchased for deer/elk hunting in mind, which if it rains (or very wet snow)- it’s going to be cold. But humping up mountains (w/o trails) can generate a fair amount of internal heat too

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Mike, I don’t think you can do what you’re trying to do without at least partially removing the top of the zipper from the pants, so you can install the second zipper ‘cleanly’ from the top. If the pants unzipped all the way (so complete separation) it would be no problem, but I assume your side zipper is sewn into the pants at the top.

If you can find an old pair of RAB Latok pants (eVent), they’ll do what you want them to. Also, the KUIU Chugach, mentioned in your other thread, also have the double side zipper you’re after.

I should add, I don’t sew so I may not know what the heck I’m talking about…. :-)

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

^^^

You’re close Doug, but with just a few sewing skills it can be accomplished as asked.

Look closely at the slider body to get the designation – 5N – on this one,

3C on another –

It can be anywhere. A magnifier helps. Call Patagonia Customer Service tell them your story and ask for two sliders.  (They sent me 5 complete zippers to install in my “Tropical Comfort” Hoodys.)

Pick apart the sewing holding the top of the zipper, being careful not to separate the coils. If you do, use the bottom slider to rejoin them. Stuff the joined coil into the “tail” of the new slider until it hits the separating divider. (The top side of a slider has more height to accommodate the coil, and a guide rail.) Insert a Very thin sharp probe into “nose” of the slider and separate one side of the coil from the other, all the while applying pressure from the bottom to induce the coil to split.  Creative language helps.

Resew the zipper into place.

In the first photo  I created the two tabs to help with the tensioning,  I then tried it without tails and it worked just as well. The key to success is a “probe” that will get the job done. (I used the probe on the other end of a fly tying dubbing brush.)

I’d be happy to send you this zipper to practice with. PM or greg attt smgm dottt org

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

I found that holding or clamping the zipper a little below the top (very small bench vise) with the end pointing upwards let me use both hands with two needles to get the coil-coil to separate. After doing a few times it became quite easy.

You can practice this. Join the zip all the way up with the bottom slider, then mount the zip upright and try to get the second slider on. When you succeed, pull it off again! Repeat several times. It’s a knack.

Cheers

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Okay- things are looking up :)

I’ll look at the sliders for a number and will call Patagonia for a few

thanks

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools