Topic

Ion Alternative

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Mountaineering & Alpinism Ion Alternative

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Bonzo
    BPL Member

@bon-zo

Locale: Virgo Supercluster

I picked up an Ion Parka from WM just a few days ago, in XL to use as a belay jacket…and although I like most of it, there are two major problems that are pushing me to look elsewhere:

1. The pockets are in the absolute worst place imaginable: at/below my hip/harness line, where my hands basically can’t reach.
    2. It’s too big.

Even with all of my layers on, the XL is slightly overlarge; the shoulder and chest measurements are generous per the garment size, given the stated dimensions.  This wouldn’t really be an issue if I could just return it for a Large, but there are no Larges to be had for a few months, according to WM.  I’m also very not-happy with the pockets… almost to the point of them being a deal-breaker (seriously, they’re that low on the coat).  There’s no issue returning it, but I need an alternate option.

I’ve tried the various offerings from FF, and none of them fit me; my torso is too long (thus the parka selection).   I almost went went the Neolite Endurance from Cumulus, but I was concerned about the lightness of the build; WM’s outer Gore layer is likely more able to deal with my ineptitude than the Pertex that’s on the Neolite.  Otherwise, it seems like it might work.

Not sure where else to look.  Opinions?

GR
    BPL Member

@rand12

The Rab Neutrino Pro or Rab Positron Pro jackets have Pertex (like the Neolite you mention) but the Pertex is burlier (20D on Rab instead of 10D on Cumulus)

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

Check out the PhD (UK) Hispar K series. High pockets, long torso, *very* water-resistant, and the warmth-to-weight ratio is mind-boggling. I purchased one off ebay last year and use it as a winter alpine mountaineering belay jacket at subzero (F) temps in high winds with no issues. I’m seriously thinking about ordering a custom one for a better fit now.

For a lot less $, I also *really* like the Patagonia Fitz Roy Down Hoody. It’s not as water-resistant or as warm as the Hispar but the pockets are above the belt, the torso is long, and it has a very high warmth-to-weight ratio.

Bonzo
    BPL Member

@bon-zo

GR – You nailed it with the durability concerns of the fabric; I just don’t think that a 10D shell is going to stand up to my normal levels of ineptitude.  Hell, I would even worry about 20D, knowing myself as I do…

Ryan – I just stumbled across PHD last night.  I’d heard of them before, but hadn’t really delved deep into what they were offering…and damn, what a product line.  The Hispars are just incredible, looking at them from the specs alone.

Question: how do you feel about the Zeta jacket?

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

Bonzo, I have a few minor holes in one of my Zeta FL jackets (campfire embers) but of course easily patched. Otherwise, it’s been one of my favorite jackets. I have two, and added side hem zips to one of them and pit zips to the other. Both options work very well for ventilation.

Yes, the Hispar is a thing of beauty.

Bonzo
    BPL Member

@bon-zo

Ryan – I think I wasn’t very good at communicating when I mentioned the Zeta; I was talking about this one.  Slightly different from the Arc’teryx offering.  Not much of a weight penalty, either, considering that the Ion was my first option.

And yeah…those Hispars are drool-worthy.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools