Topic

Introduction

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Zac
    BPL Member

@zcdawson

Hey all, I thought I would introduce myself here as I could not find a place to do so!!  I have been referring to this site for about a year now and coming into a new season I thought I would join and support it.

I live in the Columbia Falls area. Try and spend 3-4 months on the trail every year.

I started with a pack weight of 55 lbs (10 day pack) and had that weight for years…then I turned 40:).  I decided to lighten the load so I could enjoy myself more getting to where I was going. I normally just hiked into a place and stayed there. After getting the pack down to 23 lbs I discovered that I really liked covering longer distances and seeing more and more. I have been getting the weight down even more over the winter and am doing a check and weigh today. I’m think (hoping more like it) that I should be around 15-17 lbs not including food or water. I will give a list in another post later.

Zac

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Welcome.

I don’t do winter, but 15-17 sounds reasonable.  For the other three seasons, think 10-13.

For some lighter, longer and further is the name of the game.  For others light and slow is sublime.

It’s easy to do.

Enjoy the journey.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Welcome Zach!

Have you read Mike Cleland’s books? I like his approach to simplifying gear and hiking. He advocates for a relaxed approach to walking all day through beautiful areas that resonates strongly for me. He’s got some helpful videos on YouTube as well.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools