Topic

Introduction and questions regarding and upcoming Sierra trip

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Introduction and questions regarding and upcoming Sierra trip

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Chris H
    Spectator

@chrish

Locale: Somewhere on the Virginia A.T.

Lurked here for awhile, finally joined.  This site has been a wealth of knowledge for me over the last year or so as I’ve been getting back into longer trips and lightening my load.  I thought I should pony up the ‘thanks for the help’ $ and say hello!  Thanks everybody and especially the BPL owners and staff!

So…couple of quick questions for the Sierra familiar folks.

Coming out for a short bp trip in the Sierras the second week of Sep.  Flying into Mammoth.  Permit for Shadow Creek starting on the 11th.  Didn’t realize until now that the shuttles end either that prior weekend, or Labor Day weekend.  So not sure whether I should just bite off a rental car and leave it at Agnew Meadows, or if a taxi is a better option.  I’m arriving on Sunday.  Won’t need a car or transportation until early Tue morning to get to the trailhead.  So I’m thinking just getting a taxi or paid shuttle service to dump me at Agnew.

Second question, is there Verizon coverage at the Agnew campground, or from the high trail on my way back, for when I return (or get close) to call a taxi?  Verizon map indicates YES, but would prefer to know if real-world coverage exists.  If not, what are the options given my arrival time back at Agnew could be iffy.  Seems some of the private shuttle services allow scheduled pickups, but they are pretty pricey and more for groups.  This is just me, solo.

Thanks in advance!

Ralph Burgess
    BPL Member

@ralphbge

Reception there is picking up a Verizon tower on top of Mammoth Mountain, so it’s based on line of sight to that.   I’ve had strong signal high on the west side of the valley, patchy down low.  I’m not sure about the High Trail specifically.

Hitchhiking won’t be difficult from the Agnew trailhead, unless you look like Rutger Hauer.

Chris H
    Spectator

@chrish

Locale: Somewhere on the Virginia A.T.

Ralph, thanks for the cell tower info.  Guessing that’ll work.  And yea, figured I could still hitch out too, so I’ve got a couple options I guess to avoid the unnecessary expense of a car just sitting there for a couple of days.

Thanks!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools