Topic

International Appalachian Trail Newfoundland UltramaTrex

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports International Appalachian Trail Newfoundland UltramaTrex

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Eric Moll
    BPL Member

@edmoll13

My brother and I have been trying to meet up once a year at a spectacular hiking destination.  We usually end up with 11 days including travel time using Labor Day weekend. Last year we had a great time on Dixon and Wilson’s Wind River High Route.  I have a big list of hikes that would be perfect for a week long timeframe.  Somehow we decided that we would go to Newfoundland this year.  First we were thinking of the popular Long Range Traverse (LRT), but then I discovered that the International Appalachian Trail (IAT)goes up the western side of Newfoundland.  Some of the IAT utilizes the LRT but permits were going to be complicated and it’s not even 30 miles.

After discussing with the IATNL, we decided to complete what they are calling the UltramaTrex (~80 miles).  Mainly off-trail, it traverses through the impressive geology of the area surrounding the Bay Of Islands near Corner Brook. It includes the Lewis Hills (Newfoundland’s tallest point), the Blow Me Down Mountains, North Arm Hills, and the Tablelands (southern Gros Morne National Park). There are lots of wildlife including moose, caribou, and a few small bears. The route was quite remote and in some places even more than the WRHR. We didn’t see a single hiker or person while hiking.  The route isn’t continuous and a short, scenic boat ride across the Bay of Islands is needed

I almost thought about keeping this beautiful area a secret, but the IAT is doing so much hard work and the area so impressive that I felt I had to share.

http://ericshikes.blogspot.com/p/newfoundland-2016.html

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

Locale: Kentucky

Beautiful country.

Eric Moll
    BPL Member

@edmoll13

I don’t see a way to edit the initial post and didn’t want to start another topic for nearly the same thing but wanted to add, that the link now includes a blog for my East Coast Trail Thru hike (300+ km) on Newfoundland as well. While not as remote the IAT UltramaTrex, it’s probably one of the best coastal trails in the world.

Simon Kenton
    BPL Member

@simonbutler

Thanks for sharing Eric!

Michael Schwartz
    BPL Member

@greenwalk

Locale: PA & Ireland

Sweet! Thanks for posting.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools