Topic

Interesting bivy from Yama

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Interesting bivy from Yama

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Gen at YMG just released a batch of bivies including a wind bivy that uses a monofilament nylon ripstop mesh for the whole upper. I’ve not seen anything like it before.

https://yamamountaingear.com/collections/net-tents/products/wind-bivy-dcf

https://yamamountaingear.com/collections/net-tents/products/wind-bivy-silpoly

Both use a Y shaped zipper design allowing front or side entry (useful with his tasty Cirriform Min tarp which opens on the end or side now).

John L
    Blocked

@snakejon

Kewl, so is the idea to use this bicycle alone without a tarp above

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

Whoaaa… interesting..

John L
    Blocked

@snakejon

Wait nvrmnd

Partners well with most a-frame style tarps, including:

Cirriform tarps
    Tapered tarps
    Flat & rectangular tarps

Eric Blanche
    BPL Member

@eblanche

Locale: Northeast US

Looks like they are using monolite, a 1oz/yd monofilament mesh by ripstopsbytheroll. I may be incorrect here.

I have some of this stuff but I have not to use it for any projects. Def way stronger than any of the standard no-see-um mesh. Reacts more similarly to a translucent and/or very loose (but structured) weave as best I can describe.

Yama is a very interesting company making innovative products. I have not used any of their products (not excluding dcf stuff sacks) but do respect the quality I have seen of them. I would seriously look into a Yama product if I were to purchase another manufactured shelter.

The new zipper configurations for their net tents and full tents are simply awesome. Makes complete sense from a usability perspective.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Eric, yes. He’s using Monolite. Gen mentioned that in an email recently.

Michael B
    BPL Member

@mikebergy

The monolite is a good move for durability. I have it on the top of my bivvy sack, but it is twice as heavy as Noseeum. I wouldn’t question the swap on my bivvy, as there is only a small area of monolite, but with a net tent, you’re talking several square yards, and we are all a little weight weenie… nevertheless, it looks like a nice design and paired with a lightweight floor should still be well within acceptable from a weight standpoint.

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

Very cool design.  Makes me wish I were a lot smaller and a tarp/bivy guy :)

$60 more for DCF with only a 0.4 0z weight savings.  For my money the SilPoly would be the way to go.

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

Silpoly all the way for me..

Monte Masterson
    BPL Member

@septimius

Locale: Southern Indiana

The Y zipper pattern looks ingenious. Getting in and out of bug bivies has always been one of the gripes about them, at least under A frame tarps. I’ve used the top zip MLD Bug Bivy for years and it’s certainly better than chest or side zip bug bivies, however it still requires a contorted move to bring the front end of the bivy up over your head and torso.

But I don’t see how Gen gets the weight so low using a heavier bug netting, more zipper length and wider dimensions than the MLD  Bug Bivy. For example the MLD  measures 27″ wide head, 24″ foot, 24″ high, has a 20 silnylon floor, 0.7 oz noseeum netting and much less zipper length than the Yama bug bivy. And the MLD weighs 6.5 oz so I applaud Gen’s accomplishments. I just don’t see how he did it.

I’d like to make a bug bivy like the Yama with Y front zip, but 28″ high instead of 23.”

Monte Masterson
    BPL Member

@septimius

If a little more weight isn’t a huge concern the Oookworks Bug Bivy (UK) is probably the best. It weighs 11 oz but it’s 28.5″ high and has a robust 30d silnylon floor. At that height the Ookworks is infinitely less confining than the Yama and MLD bug bivies. The 2 zipper entry might not be quite as easy as Yama’s Y zip to enter and exit, but I’m sure it’s pretty good. The Oookworks also has cantilevered corners, thereby making it easier to pitch.

https://oookworks.com/product/bug-bivvy/

bjc
    BPL Member

@bj-clark-2-2

Locale: Colorado

I hate Gen. I buy something from him and then he comes out with a better version. It’s getting expensive.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

That Ookworks Bivy looks nice but I think I’d rather step up to a net inner at that point. It makes sense to me to either prioritize simplicity and weight (bivy) or livability (inner net). YMMV!

Monte Masterson
    BPL Member

@septimius

But net tents are all 38″ tall and higher so you need at least a 7′ wide tarp to match up with them. And net tents don’t set up near as easy as bug bivies either. You have to have both ridge ends fairly tight in order to get a taut pitch because they’re bigger and they have cat cuts. The front and rear slopes and the overall smaller size of a bug bivy makes for a quicker setup with less fiddle factor. And now perhaps an easier entry/exit too.

There’s a reason why Ron at MLD discontinued the Serenity Net Tent. He wrote on his site that when using a tarp you’re better off with a bug bivy. He was of course referring to one of his bivies, however I’ll bet if you spent a couple of nights in the MLD or Yama bug bivy and then spent a couple of nights in the Oookworks you’d say okay I’ll take the weight penalty for the Oookworks because there is so much more space (since it’s 5 1/2″ higher). Maybe not. It’s too heavy for me, but many people might not mind the extra 4 ounces.

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

I like how the Ookworks bivy opens up.. and not down.

Josh J
    BPL Member

@uahiker

8oz is pretty good, im not sure about the wind resistance stuff, for me its not that big of a deal

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

My concern also would be using it without pulling the netting up off your face… i wonder if the weight of the 3 zippers meeting at that top point would be annoying.. just draped over my face???

Chris K
    BPL Member

@cmkannen-2-2

Bumping this thread – anyone have experience with the Yama Wind Bivy?

Obviously it will keep bugs off you, give you protection from wet ground, and provide a little temp boost probably. But I’m curious how it handles dew, spindrift, incidental sprinkles/splashback, blowing dust and sand, and so on.

Chris K
    BPL Member

@cmkannen-2-2

dirtbag – awhile back I emailed Gen about the zippers in your face when the bivy is not suspended. He said the most recent version positions the zippers slightly further down, away from the head.

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

Ahhh.. Ok. Thanks for that.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools