Topic

Interesting Account of PCTer not making it across a raging creek

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Interesting Account of PCTer not making it across a raging creek

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Paul I
    BPL Member

@piracki

Locale: San Francisco
    Patrick W
    BPL Member

@mando12

For what it’s worth, crossing a swollen creek at 6:30 PM is crossing at peak flow time in the 24 hour cycle. Crossing at 6;30 AM would be at minimum flow because the flow is generated by afternoon snow melt.  Might have been alright had he camped there and then attempted to cross in the morning.

Dena Kelley
    BPL Member

@eagleriverdee

Locale: Eagle River, Alaska

Lots of take-aways in the article. He seems to have a good recognition of what he did wrong and what he did right.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

That’s why I now always but always carry my SPOT beacon, even on day hikes.

And even on day hikes I carry the Ten Essentials as well. The SPOT beacon is the “11th essential”.

Owen M
    BPL Member

@harryhood04

Also a good reminder to have a few essentials (map, fire starter, etc.) in your pockets if there’s a chance you’ll lose all your stuff.

Matt V
    BPL Member

@mv45

Locale: Colorado

That’s why I now always but always carry my SPOT beacon, even on day hikes.

My PLB would have been in my backpack, which isn’t very helpful in this case. It lives in my first aid kit.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools