Topic

Insulating Layer help

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Insulating Layer help

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Christopher R
    BPL Member

@chrisr18

Quesiton:  Suggestions on an inexpensive insulating layer that is warm enough to use with a Patagonia R1 in camp.

I am planning a hike with my brother in the Sierra (North Lake/South Lake loop), beginning may 29.  He needs a good insulating layer (synthetic or goose down puffy) to use with an R1 Hoody, but he doesn’t have too much $, so needs something very affordable.  I think his puffy will mostly be used to keep warm in camp along with the R1.  The idea is that either the R1 or puffy can be used while hiking, and both if it gets cold in the evening.  Any help would be appreciated.  He tends to be on the cold side.

I also would like to know, for myself, if a Columbia TKA 100wt fleece paired with a MH Ghostwhisperer 2 would be sufficiently warm.  I tend to run hot.

Some Average Temperatures in the are as follows:

Dusty Basin – May 56/26F; June 67/35F

Bishop Pass Trailhead – May 61/24F; June 72/31F

Muir Pass – May 53/23F; June 64/32F

Le Conte Canyon – 60/27F; June 71/34F

Dustin V
    BPL Member

@dustinv

Since you have time before the trip, start checking around at thrift stores. You could get very lucky and save a lot of $.

Philip Tschersich
    BPL Member

@philip-ak

Locale: Kodiak Alaska

Define “very affordable.” Like, a max dollar amount. $20? $100? $200?

Christopher R
    BPL Member

@chrisr18

If he can find something in the $100 range that would be nice, but I am willing to pitch in another $100 for a birthday gift.  I’d say no more than $200, so not looking at Patagonia or Arc’teryx currently.

Philip Tschersich
    BPL Member

@philip-ak

Locale: Kodiak Alaska

The Enlightened Equipment Torrid is a good buy at $185. It is very light and pretty warm. Say, summer nights in the alpine and shoulder season down to freezing with some other layers. I’ve used one for 2 years now and am very happy with it. I have a closet full of other super high-end puffies, but it still goes on most trips.

Iago Vazquez
    BPL Member

@iago

Locale: Boston & Galicia, Spain

For $200, Montbell has some down options.

James R
    BPL Member

@wapitispokes

I concur on the Torrid recommendation.  I have two Nunatak versions (one warmer and longer than the other) but also bought a Torrid for my son and have recommended it to my daughter for similar application.  Down has its advantages as well, but a good quality warm down jacket probably doesn’t fit your price range unless you find a good deal on a used one.

Greg Pehrson
    BPL Member

@gregpehrson

Locale: playa del caballo blanco

I love my Costco Triple Star Down Parka–tons of loft and warmth, ultralight, highly compressible, very silky fabric, and purchased new for $30. They are discontinued now, but frequently show up on eBay, and you might be able to find one here on Gear Swap since they were popular here 10 years ago. This thread talks about sizing (doesn’t work for big and tall folks). Good luck.

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

REI garage sale sent me a notice a day or two ago advertising “70% off”. Rei also has a used gear area on line.

AK Granola
    BPL Member

@granolagirlak

I also used the Torrid on my JMT hike this summer. Last time I used a Rab that was more expensive – $200 – and it was a lot warmer. But I don’t need the warmth at the temperatures you describe. I endorse thrift shopping; it’s incredible what you can find in near perfect condition for 1/4 the cost.

George W
    BPL Member

@ondarvr

Look around for used or returned.

I picked up an REI magma hooded, 850 down jacket yesterday for $83.00
    It had a nick near the wrist and one piece of down was poking out, looked new otherwise. It was on the garage sale rack.

I see down jackets around used or on sale frequently.

Tawon
    Spectator

@cohote

The Decathlon Trek 100 weighs around 10oz, has 3oz of 800 fill power down and costs $80.

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

Take a look at Uniqlo.

Chris Jones
    Spectator

@vtrc

I picked up an REI flash jacket and an REI magma jacket off the garage sale rack for around $50 each. The racks are in store and open daily now so picking a weekday can be pretty effective. (I work by an REI so compulsive even)

Facebook marketplace can be really good if you know exactly what you want and what you should pay.

Andrew
    BPL Member

@twistytee

If used is acceptable the LL Bean Ultralight 850 is good value for money. Although total weight at ~13oz  is heavier than the Ghost Whisperer, it’s filled with 3.5 oz of down vs 3 oz in the GW. So could be a better option for someone who runs cold.

Christopher R
    BPL Member

@chrisr18

@andrew used is absolutely acceptable.

Jeff
    BPL Member

@jkpaulsen

I really like my Montbell UL Thermawrap Jacket. Montbell markets it as an active insulation piece, which is why I picked it up. But I was surprisingly comfortable sitting on a ski lift with merino base layer + alpha direct + Thermawrap + Versalite in 10-15F temps. It’s 8.5 oz, and ~$95 ordered from Japan, $179 from the US site.

To get the most warmth, I’d want to make sure to have a windproof shell. You could also upgrade to the parka, which has a hood.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools