Topic

Insulated Smartwater Bottles

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Insulated Smartwater Bottles

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

Locale: Northern California

Insulated my 1.5L Smart Water bottles with re/up-cycled Reflectix from my sister’s pandemic dinner deliveries. As a bonus the bottles now slip into and out of the pockets much more easily, especially one-handed.

Mike B
    BPL Member

@highwarlok

Locale: Colorado

Nice, I did something similar for Nalgenes for when I winter camp and for my titanium mug for all the time. Coffee got cold way to fast without it.

Brad W
    BPL Member

@rocko99

I was considering spraying the bottles with a white plastic paint used to paint RC car/truck bodies. The direct sunlight heats my bottles on my shoulder strap up pretty quickly. May run some temp tests see if it helps. Would be negligible weight if it works.

David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

That makes a lot of sense because the insulation is too bulky for normal shoulder pockets. I ordered pockets for a Nalgene sized bottle but use the smartwater bottles, which leaves enough room for the Reflectix.

Brad, would you mind posting a photo or sending the brand name and paint #? I’ve tried a few paints from the hardware store that said they were plastic compatible but aren’t worth a darn.

Brad W
    BPL Member

@rocko99

TAMIYA 86001 Paint Spray. Can be found for $5-6 at local hobby shops that sell model planes, cars, etc. I used to paint remote control truck bodies and used this paint. I am not sure the longevity/scratch resistance as the bodies are painted on the inside. The paint however does stick very well to plastic and keeps when plastic is bent. I will give it a go and report back.

Erik G
    BPL Member

@fox212

Locale: Central Coast

Which water bottle pockets are those? I really want to try carrying water directly on my hip belt

David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

Thanks Brad.

Erik, the pockets were an option when I ordered my Bears Ears 50 pack from Nunatak, and they come in two sizes, one for Nalgene diameter and the other for Smartwater bottle diameter. They are detachable from my hip belt and they might be available to purchase separate from the pack.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools