Topic

Insulated puffy pants for snow camping

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Insulated puffy pants for snow camping

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Jeff Jeff
    BPL Member

@jeffjeff

Does anyone have any recommendations for puffy pants to wear around camp? The cheaper the better since I will only use them a few times a year.

Something like the Mountain Hardwear Compressor or Patagonia Nano Puff would be nice, but ideally something I can snag on sale in the next few months.

Edward John M
    BPL Member

@moondog55

Well if it’s cheap you need look for a set of M-65 pants liners Around $5 or 6 dollars and 1Clo [ these work really well under wind pants/storm pants and are good value]

Next on the cheap scale are the newer L7 happy pants which are insulated with 6 ounce Primaloft but very very warm

Otherwise eBay and S/H

Bob Moulder
    BPL Member

@bobmny10562

Locale: Westchester County, NY

What temps?

The Compressors advertised weight is 1#14oz while nanopuffs say 12oz, but they’re likely not as warm. Montbell TEC down pants are 13.4oz (size M, on my scale) although not exactly cheap. But they have full side zips — a mandatory feature IMO — and smoosh down very small in the pack.

Luke F
    BPL Member

@fowler

I sold my patagonia Micro Puff pants because I never used them after finding the milsurp liner pants. I prefer to buy them locally as all loft is not created (or aged) equally, but at $10-15 a pop you can play surplus roulette on eBay and still come out ahead.

Edward John M
    BPL Member

@moondog55

Full side zips are as you say almost mandatory but the button system on the liners is almost as good

Bob Moulder
    BPL Member

@bobmny10562

Locale: Westchester County, NY

How much do those liners weigh? I perused a few of those ebay/amazon sources and did not see this.

Very attractive price, for sure!

Not giving a rat’s ass about fashion, I would wear those as the outside layer if they were functional and not too heavy. Extreme cold has a way of making one jettison superficial silliness in a hurry.

Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Locale: SF Bay Area & New England

What’s the weight like for the M-65 liners and L7 Happy Pants?

The L7 Happy Pants look just like the Patagonia Micro Puff Pants and likely Patagonia makes some of the L7 pants.

Sven
    Spectator

@sarek

Locale: Sweden

I have WM Flight Pants. Love them. Not cheap though. I usually wear them all the time in camp on multi day ski trips.

Greg Pehrson
    BPL Member

@gregpehrson

Locale: playa del caballo blanco

Bob, my M-65 liners in Small-Long are 9.7 oz. This is the first time I’ve ever worn “long” anything, but the Long version is essential for full-sized pants as they are only sized to come mid-shin otherwise. This weight includes a thin drawstring and tiny cord lock I ran through the buttonholes at the waist to cinch it up. Mine are the version without side buttons.

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

I was patient, searching for some time to find a used pair of Montbell UL Down Pants.  Found a pair in XL for $50 in near perfect condition.  I love them…very warm. Weight: 279g/9.8oz.

Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Locale: SF Bay Area & New England

Thanks Greg what inseam does does the Long give you (bottom of crotch to end of ankle)? Also what waist size in inches does your waist size S, M or L come out to?

Will be interesting to see if the L7 primaloft pants are similar in weight to the Patagonia Micro Puff and MH Compressor Pants.

I hope the cottage makers will also offer Apex pants.

While I primarily use insulated pants for winter rest stops they also got me and the Ms. comfortably through a NE winter week without heat due to heater repairs.

William Chilton
    BPL Member

@williamc3

Locale: Antakya

“I hope the cottage makers will also offer Apex pants.”
    As Tucas.

Tipi Walter
    BPL Member

@tipiwalter

I have WM Flight Pants. Love them. Not cheap though. I usually wear them all the time in camp on multi day ski trips.

I agree with Sven as above.  Down pants are where it’s at.

But for my next purchase I’d go with these—

https://goosefeetgear.com/products/down-pants/

Much more options, more down if needed, no side zippers (never use them)—Just more options.

Greg Pehrson
    BPL Member

@gregpehrson

Locale: playa del caballo blanco

Ethan, I measured my Small-Longs to have a 26″ inseam (but with a 12″ rise I think they call it? from the waistband to the beginning of the inseam).

And the waistband I measured (from button to furthest button hole–but there are a series of waist buttonholes you could fit the button into or run a cord through)–at 40″.  The Small sizing tag says for size 27″ to 31″ waist.

Weird sizing, I know, but remember, these are to go over all other layers.

For reference, I usually wear a 30″ waist and ideally a 28.5″ inseam (which means I just buy 30X30s).

Luke F
    BPL Member

@fowler

I don’t have the button side liner pants either, I find the leg wide enough to get on over boots without any side openings. I’m sure their is a decent thermal cost from heat loss out the cuff, but I don’t mind yet. I don’t mind the knickerbocker length of the pants either as they come to the tops of my mukluks or gaiters and stay out of the way. The side-button pants I owned briefly where much thinner and I couldn’t see myself operating that many buttons willingly.

Interestingly I measured nearly identical loft between my USGI liners and my Patagonia Micropuffs, both jackets and pants. As near as I can dig up the liners use more or less polarguard classic, and some sources say 5oz worth for the thicker ones. The jacket I use is the fishtail parka liner which tends to be much loftier then the M-65 versions.

The PCU level 7/happy suit pants both use 6oz insulation (203g by my math) instead of the 100g used in the micropuff pants, and a very heavy 70d epic shell, beefy tooth zippers and some have 330d cordura reinforcements. My pair of small/long level 7 pants are just pennies shy of 32oz.

nunatak
    BPL Member

@roamer

We’ve made half a dozen Apex pants on a custom basis, not found on the site. The medium fitted to go over only thin thermals and built with 2.5oz Apex was 190g and $150, I think.

I personally find knickers to be the best for anything but full conditions.

Edward John M
    BPL Member

@moondog55

As Nunatak says Knicker length is adequate, protecting the femoral arteries from heat loss works

The White buttonless liners seem to be warmer then the OD button sided liners

White liners fit the overpants, green liners fit the field trousers

The Happy Pants are seriously warm and a direct copy of the original Patagucci Puffball pants but with double the insulation

The thing to take note of with the surplus liners is the stitching, while the insulation is OK and the fabric itself can be windproof the wind can and does blow though the stitching lines so you need to wear them inside your overpants/ windpants for maximum benefit

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I have an old suit of Thermolite Micro military pants & jacket. Since I now have an EB done jacket I use only the Thermolite  pants in extreme weather.

** But it has to be very extreme, as in -10 F. or lower. That’s because I have a pair of Duluth Trading fleece lined nylon cargo pants. When worn over mid weight or polar weight polyester long johns they are very warm. No need to change into puffy pants in camp. These pants are extremely well made and I got them on a sale for $89., lots less than similar lined nylon Rail Riders!

Luke F
    BPL Member

@fowler

The White buttonless liners seem to be warmer then the OD button sided liners

Very interesting, shows the variation inherent in Milsurp… I tried one pair of the white liners and mine where even thinner then the green side button, which where thinner then the buttonless green.

d k
    BPL Member

@dkramalc

For cheap, it’s hard to beat this MYOG idea:

https://jansjaunts.wordpress.com/2016/01/21/diy-down-skirt-leg-warmers-socks-mittens/

One could probably make some pants instead of the leggings/skirt combo.

Rob P
    BPL Member

@rpjr

I’ve been wanting to get a pair of full zip knickers for a while, but the upcharge for the full zip from Nunatak is $180…the knickers would be great if you are wearing gaiters, and just need to warm your thighs.  Full zips would be perfect for that situation.

Jeff Jeff
    BPL Member

@jeffjeff

It sounds like the M65 is a good value if I can find them in long.

I really like the DIY leggings from the costco quilt. I may have to look into adapting a pants pattern to have a little insulation qulited in.

For the record I was hoping for something less than $100. Side zips not necessary for sitting around camp.

Edward John M
    BPL Member

@moondog55

You really don’t need them in long; especially if you are wearing gaiters, just so your thighs have good coverage. Our legs do have a pretty good heat exchange system in the calves and feet. There is a huge variation in MilSurp Government USGovernment used to buy on cost not value so usually the cheapest generic polyester won these contracts; so shop around for the puffiest you can find. I would recommend you get ones with side buttons tho; so much more versatile and very little weight penaltly. Drop windpants, ad liners Pull up wind pants With practice it can take less than a minute

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools