Topic

Insulated Pants recomendations?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Insulated Pants recomendations?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Josh B
    BPL Member

@jbalisteri

Locale: Western New York

I’m looking for a pair of insulated pants for winter camping/backpacking this winter and I haven’t found a lot of good comparison articles. Does anyone have a particular pant they love? I was eyeing the EE Torrid pants but the lead time is too long to get them for this winter.

Iago Vazquez
    BPL Member

@iago

Locale: Boston & Galicia, Spain

Not sure what the lead time is at GooseFeet Gear. Perhaps reach out.

Brad P
    Spectator

@brawndo

I was happy with my Montbell Light Down pants in Inyo in September. It got down to 18 at night. I sleep a little cold so it helped my 20 degree quilt and in the morning packing up.

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

I am also extremely happy with the Montbell light down pants. I was lucky enough to pick them up on gear swap for $50.  They are typical Montbell high quality all around. Were I looking for something warmer however I would look at goosefeet gear and their box baffle custom pants.

AK Granola
    BPL Member

@granolagirlak

Do you want insulated pants to be active in? Or pants to wear in camp? If the latter, the Montbell down pants are great. I got them in gear swap for a good price. For activity at minus 20-30 I use bib overall insulated pants, an off brand from a random store. “First tracks” is what the label says. I’ve had them for 20 years! So I guess don’t hesitate to look around, don’t always need a name brand.

Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@pkh

Locale: Nova Scotia

I have been very happy with the Montbell down pants, and I also have Montbell synthetic insulation pants for trips where I can expect cold, rainy campsites.

DWR D
    BPL Member

@dwr-2

REI offer various fleece pants of various weights. Like upper body clothing, layers are best so you will be able to strip off a layer as the day warms… the REI Hyperaxis fleece pants are really nice… and on sale right now..  though more work unless you get something full length side zippers…

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

I bought these on Amazon last year for $60.  I could weigh them if you’re interested.

Josh B
    BPL Member

@jbalisteri

These would be for in camp.

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

For around camp above 20 deg F I’d go with the Montbell Light Down Pants and pair with a 150 merino + Cap 4 bottoms.  Below that I’d go with box baffles, probably Goosefeet Gear.  Although, would be hard to argue against Nunatak or Western Mountaineering.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

What size?

Josh B
    BPL Member

@jbalisteri

About a 32″ waist

Dustin V
    BPL Member

@dustinv

I ordered cheap, no-name 800-fill down pants on Amazon. They have an asian fit, so it hurt my ego a little to order XL (for my 32″ waist plus a layer). Haven’t had a chance to really test them, but they were very warm while shoveling the last snowfall of Spring. I just couldn’t bring myself to get nice pants on the medium-high likelihood that I could snag them on a branch around camp.

Paul S
    BPL Member

@pula58

I use the Montbell UL thermawrap pants for winter backpacking trips here in WA state (USA). They seem warm enough to me if I wear thermal base layer leggings underneath.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

I’ve got a pair of Montbell light down pants, size medium, nearly new condition that I’d sell for $110 plus shipping if you’re interested.

Bruce Tolley
    BPL Member

@btolley

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

@ Josh B You dont say what temps you are expecting.  To add to what others have said, I have found Montbell Light Down pants to work very well around camp AND as part of a sleeping system. Around camp I will wear them over my hiking pants sometimes with a silkweight wool base layer and they work well down to the 20s or high teens.

If I expect to be camping or cooking on or in snow, I switch to an old pair of Integral Designs  synthetic down pants that are probably equivalent of the Montbell Thermawrap.

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

I wonder how many Xs there are in an asian sizing that would fit me (with baselayers) at 6’2”, 225 lbs, 36” waist? :)

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

LINER, COLD WEATHER, TROUSERS, MEN’S, FIELD, NYLON QUILTED

I wrote the above blog post in 2013; the same pair are still my go-to insulated pant.

Dan Quixote
    BPL Member

@dan_quixote

Locale: below the mountains (AK)

This may sound silly, but one time I picked up an insulated (down I presume) skirt that Costco was clearing out, figuring that of ladies like them so much then maybe it was worth the $15 bucks to give it a try, and if it didn’t fit, or if I couldn’t bear wearing a skirt, then I could give it to my mom or one of my sisters and get to look a little generous.

That thing is money! It’s so easy to don/doff that I can do so during breaks with little thought, great for around camp, great for sleeping, and I can twist it around and adjust the side-zips for using the restroom standing up. It has one side that zip up/down with a two-way zipper, and the other zips about halfway up so I can get more mobility from it.

I can’t remember who exactly says it, but I think I’ve read repeatedly in articles here on BPL about taking care of our feet in the cold this piece of foot-warmth wisdom: warm legs lead to warm feet. While the down skirt doesn’t cover all my legs, the effect is pretty similar just by insulating from my rear down toward my knees. I can adjust the zips depending on if I’m sleeping, standing around, or being a little more mobile with camp chores and stuff.

It doesn’t work well for actual walking, especially on snowshoes, but activity is my warmth at that point.

Lot’s of guys look at me askance when I bust it out or mention how much I love it, but the ladies I’m around get it: down skirts are suuuuper practical. I haven’t done much market research besides grabbing it off a table at Costco or noticing how many women wear them here in Anchorage Alaska, but I’m guessing they’re cheaper than most down pants, and probably lighter too. Maybe I should weigh the thing, but I only use it in winter where I don’t count the ounces as much anyway, and I don’t get out enough to justify something more expensive. I’m not trying to win any fashion awards out there.

Dustin V
    BPL Member

@dustinv

Daniel, hey, if it works… It’s basically a mini-blanket which you could probably use for several purposes.

There are outdoorsy kilts available. Never tried one of those, but I wore a traditional wool kilt for a wedding once and was surprised how much heat it trapped.

Bruce Tolley
    BPL Member

@btolley

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Although I bought my gear in 2007 and 2008, I have found that the Montbell USA size XL pants and down sweater fits me fine at 6 ft 2 inches 216 lbs.

Glenn O
    BPL Member

@glenno

Locale: GYE

MB UL Tec Down are a good all-arounder, though not super impressive warmth:weight compared to some.

Dave @ Oware
    BPL Member

@bivysack-com

Locale: East Washington

“LINER, COLD WEATHER, TROUSERS, MEN’S, FIELD, NYLON QUILTED

I wrote the above blog post in 2013; the same pair are still my go-to insulated pant.”

Used to keep these in my winter SAR pack. Either for me or to give to a victim. I think we paid about $13 for them at the time and when the victim left by helicopter or ambulance for a distant hospital I didn’t worry if I got them back. The jacket liner is similar but not as stand alone as the pants.

Josh B
    BPL Member

@jbalisteri

These will be for winter camping mostly 0-32 degrees F.

Northeast US.

Josh B
    BPL Member

@jbalisteri

Hey, Bruce. Teens and twenties & sometimes down to zero. Northeastern US.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools