Topic

Insulated overboots?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Insulated overboots?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Edward John M
    BPL Member

@moondog55

Would anybody have have any information about how to draft a pattern for an overboot?

My feet are going to need more warmth than my LW Telemark boots are going to provide. My Supergaiters do not fit [ only an XL] and it seems that there are no more surplus stocks of the British Army ski-march gaiter in the XXXL I need to do over my Scarpa T-2 boots

Better yet if there are any online patterns ready to go suitable for a Mondo 30 double boot

Jeff McWilliams
    BPL Member

@jjmcwill

Locale: Midwest

Can you come up with your own pattern by looking at how the Supergaiters are built / sewn?

Edward John M
    BPL Member

@moondog55

I’ve tried

Everything seems to come out very bulky and klunky so I thought that there must be a better way.

I am not very good at visualising the 3-D to flat conversions needed to make patterns and I thought there must be a technique

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.
    Edward John M
    BPL Member

@moondog55

Yes I have mate and may get a pair when I go over but they don’t work with ski boots due to the tread on the base of the soles and all that rubber around the rand. I still ski on 75mm Rat-traps so the front portion of the boot needs to be clear and free

The old style OR overboots would have worked with some tinkering I think.

The best of these were the old Peter Caiman Supergator, the Chouinard original until Scarpa and Berghaus co-developed the Yeti

Scott Nelson
    BPL Member

@nlsscott

Locale: Southern California and Sierras

I wonder if you could use Tyvec over shoes and cut one apart to use as a pattern. Didn’t Will R have an article on this site about using them as overshoes? I looked and there images of the OR “X Gaiter” out there.  They show how the elastic runs around the perimeter and underfoot.  The OR x gaiters were not very durable and they had a difficult time staying on the boot “back in the day”.  It’s funny to think that they were the original OR product.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Have you had a look at 40 Below overboots? I think Joel will work with you if you need some adjustments for your particular boots. Don’t know that for sure, but I do know he’ll certainly answer emails. I have his overboots for winter backpacking and love them, FWIW.

Edward John M
    BPL Member

@moondog55

I have Doug and I have exchanged emails too

I concluded I needed something warmer and more robust

I could buy Berghaus Yeti gaiters and add insulation [ my size in the insulated is out of stock and may not be in the pipeline ever again due to totally new HA boots being available] but I still need to be able to make the pattern to cut the fabric

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

I’ve got a pair of tyvek ‘overboots’ with a rubberish sole. they’re pretty big. you can have them for dissecting to figure out a pattern if you wish, just pay for shipping.

Edward John M
    BPL Member

@moondog55

I’ll take you up on that offer I think

PM your way

Edward John M
    BPL Member

@moondog55

Here’s a question or three

I’ve managed to find a set of XL gaiters which I know are too small but I was going to disassemble for a pattern [ cost was OK ] but is there any way to soften and stretch the rubber rand without destroying it?

What is the most effective insulation to use in this application and how thick is the minimum I’ll need?

Obviously there can’t be too much or the toe of the boot will not fit into the binding. I just happen to have some Thinsulate  booties here I could sacrifice; some wool frieze in blanket weight; lots of generic fleece scraps, some Thinsulate Mid-loft and quite a bit of Vilene and I can source neoprene scraps at RipCurl cheap

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools