Topic

Instant Scalloped Potatoes: Can you cold soak or hot water in bag this?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Instant Scalloped Potatoes: Can you cold soak or hot water in bag this?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Phong D
    BPL Member

@poledancer

I’d like to get cheesy scalloped Potatoes to top my ground turkey and veggie mix.  Kinda like shepherds pie with scalloped potatoes instead of mashed.  Has anyone made boxed instant scalloped mash potatoes in the field, using either cold soak or hot water in a bag?  The directions call for baking, so I dont know how it turns out without baking.

THanks.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

I don’t know about the scalloped potatoes.  The $1, 440-calorie, Idahoan mashed potatoes at Walmart / Target do fine, in their original package with near-boiling water and being set aside in a cozy for a few minutes with no additional cooking.  Thorough stirring initially helps avoid pockets of dry powder.  A 9″ spoon is better than an 8″ spoon for that.  Or, you know, a stick you found.

Adding additional cheese, oil and bacon bits ups the calories, of course.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

“Has anyone made boxed instant scalloped mash potatoes in the field, using either cold soak or hot water in a bag?”

I have a couple of dinners that utilize dried scalloped potatoes. Just like dried beans or brown rice, I add boiling water to a bubblewrapped 3-cup ziplock storage container and let it sit for 15 – 20 minutes.  Works fine. “Cheesey” too, or whatever that stuff really is.

Betty Crocker or the Walmart special, they are all the same.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools