Topic

Insole Recommended for High Arch, 2E Wide Forefoot in Trail Runners Backpacking

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Insole Recommended for High Arch, 2E Wide Forefoot in Trail Runners Backpacking

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Scott B
    BPL Member

@tigersjb

I typically wear Hoka wides, regular Topos, or regular Altras as my foot is a little wide at 2E while my heel closer to standard and I have a high arch. In the past I have used the O-Boz O-Fit mediums with Topo Ultraventures on a Colorado Trail thru hike. They were a good enough fix at the time, but I would like something with better heel stability and arch support for my high arches as I continue to have periodic foot issues associated with high arches.

So far I have considered the following:

Superfeet Green: I tried these on at the store. The high arch and heel felt great but they seem too tapered at the forefoot for my wider forefoot shoes and when standing on them I feel like my forefoot is on the verge of spilling off the edges. I tried sizing up thinking I could just do that and trim it, but the bottom of the ball my big toe is quite close to plastic frame on the bottom and I feel uneasy about going that direction. I even asked a Superfeet rep about it, and she recommended NOT sizing up as it compromises the intended design of the arch alignment on the foot.

Superfeet Widegreen: I have not tried these on, but even the heel from the regular Green seemed to just barely fit and I have heard the Widegreens are very wide overall. Just worried the heel, which cannot be trimmed, would not fit. They are intended for 3E and up and I am 2E wide.

Superfeet Trailblazers: These seemed okay when I tried them on in the store, and even a little better overall than the Superfeet Green as the forefoot is less tapered and wide enough, but Superfeet seems to only recommend these for boots and OUTDOOR shoes (What does “outdoor shoe” really mean? Not night slippers? lol) for some reason. After trying them on they seemed okay, but I can’t help but wonder if the volume of the insole + the “medium-to-high” arch that is noticeably lower than the Superfeet Green will be too much like the O-Boz O-Fit. It seems that a Superfeet Green with the same footprint as the Trailblazers would be a great insole.

Superfeet Blue and Carbon: Tried on but either seemed too narrow or the arch was too low or a combination of both.

Superfeet Adapt Run Max: I have not tried these on, but these were recommended by the Superfeet rep and I like that they are not too thick, but they seem too heavily geared towards running and I am hesitant to get these as it seems they would provide less stability than the others. Also, like the Trailblazers, the arch is classified in the mysterious “medium-to-high” arch category. Also, I feel like there could be issues with the tapered toe box similar to the Greens.

Sole Active Medium Wide: These appear to have a lot of potential and a possibly be a top contender, but I have not tried them on in the store and have not found one yet nearby to do so. Just looking at them it appears they have a wide natural-splay footbox without a super wide heel and could be molded to my high arch. The Medium thickness seem like safer bet volume-wise.

Sole Active Medium with Met Pad: Most pain and injury I have had has been in the metatarsal region, but it appears they only have the Met Pads on the regular width more tapered forefoot insole. If regular width would be good enough, I might be more inclined to go this direction.

Sole Active Thick Wide: Same as the Medium but thicker and may provide more cushion in the metatarsal region and mitigate having no met pad. The only concern here would be if it’s too thick for many trail runners (SOLE says they are okay for  running shoes that have higher volume/wiggle room).

If you have any comments about these insoles on the list or recommend any others for Altras, Hokas, and Topos please share. I understand that everyone’s feet are different, but I thought some with a similar foot profile might have found a good insole-to-shoe fit they could share.  I am not super picky about my shoe setup being zero drop, but I like to keep it low drop at least. Thanks!

YoPrawn
    Spectator

@johan-river

Locale: Cascadia

Sole Active Wide = They fit perfectly into my Altra shoes. I didn’t even have to trim mine for size 10.5 Altra Olympus 4 shoes. They are the only brand of insoles I will use. I have regular width ones in my approach shoes.

You do have to make sure the edges of these insoles are not rough, though. Sometimes the edges can have a lot of grabby spines that will rip up socks. I just take something with a semi-sharp edge and sand down the edges if they are rough.

Don’t use the oven break-in method on these either. Just wear them in with use. The thicker Sole insoles might feel too thick at first, but once they compress in the pressure points, your feet will sit pretty close to as low as a regular insole.

Scott B
    BPL Member

@tigersjb

Thank you, Johan.  Very helpful!  Why not the oven break-in method?  Just curious.  Also, do you have the Sole Active Wide Thick or Medium in your Altras?

baja bob
    BPL Member

@bajabob

Locale: West

Have you considered having orthotics made? I curse the day I lost mine.  I think they will last a lot longer than going through s number of insoles that we ear out.  I have high arches and am using the OBOZ at the moment, which are ok, but need something with a higher arch.

YoPrawn
    Spectator

@johan-river

Locale: Cascadia

I have the medium, which are still pretty thick. I don’t like the oven method because I don’t believe that a person’s feet utilize the footbed in the same way standing or strolling around the house as they do when out hiking. I just feel it’s a more accurate way of shaping the insole at the cost of taking a bit more time.

I have done it both ways.

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

Agree with Johan…when I was using insoles that recommended/offered the oven break-in method, I preferred the fit that resulted from a wear-in method. Took no more than 1 trip to fully break in.

That said, I found that (relatively) inexpensive Dr Scholl’s Running insoles work great for me.  Of course, I only discovered that after trying all the “high-end” non-custom insoles.

Scott B
    BPL Member

@tigersjb

Good to know.  Thank you.  Yes, I have the Dr Scholls running insole as well. It’s better than the sock liners that come with the shoe, but the forefoot is slightly more narrow than I would like, the arch is a little too low, and seems more focused on comfort than support.  Also, in my personal experience they make a little squeaking noise.  Great insoles for the money though!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools