Topic

Insole Options: thin, not superfeet, not ortholite?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Insole Options: thin, not superfeet, not ortholite?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    spelt with a t
    BPL Member

@spelt

Locale: Rangeley, ME

I’ve come to the conclusion that I don’t like the Ortholite insoles provided as stock by many shoe manufacturers. It’s particularly bad when a shoe is advertised as having plenty of cushion. Usually this seems to mean that there’s a thicker than usual Ortholite insole. I find them too squishy and would like a denser material that still cushions, but with less give.

In shoes with an EVA(?) midsole I’ll usually just take the insoles out and the midsole provies enough cushion. But for shoes that have a stiffer and/or thinner midsole, I need some kind of auxiliary cushioning.

Superfeet are no good. I found out the hard way that structured insoles give me pain. I used to use Wolverine Durashocks, but they increase the drop in any shoe they’re in and I’m trying to move away from that. Ideally I would want something similar to the material in the Durashocks, but thinner and flatter. If you’re not familiar with them, they have a dense, firm-ish foam for the bulk of the area and under the heel and ball there’re patches of slightly softer gel-like material.

The athletic insoles at the local store (Spenco, Dr. Scholl’s) are all Orthlite as far as I can tell, some with gel and some without. The actual running store is 40 minutes away and doesn’t have inventory on their website, so I’ve no idea what I’ll find there. Does anyone have suggestions for what to try?

Clue M
    BPL Member

@cluemonger

Spenco.  The basic flat green ones are 1/8″ and no contours.

spelt with a t
    BPL Member

@spelt

Famous Footwear only had the thick fancy gel ones. I wonder if the drugstore has the plain ones.

jimmyjam
    BPL Member

@jimmyjam

Locale: Mid Atlantic
    spelt with a t
    BPL Member

@spelt

Oh cool. There’s a bit of an arch, but no structure beaneth so I wouldn’t think it’d be too stiff. Thanks, I wouldn’t have thought of Cabelas.

Cameron M
    BPL Member

@cameronm-aka-backstroke

Locale: Los Angeles

I like these from Footsmart, they come in high arch and regular, not structured but with a tiny hard bit underneath the heel that combined with the dense arch material makes them less “mushy” than many similar ones. Google: FootSmart IsoArch 3/4 Foot Supports

Ross L
    BPL Member

@ross

Locale: Beautiful BC

I like the Montrail Enduro Sole LP (low profile). They conform to your feet and are reasonably thin. I can’t use Superfeet either.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools