Topic

inReach story

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    AK Granola
    BPL Member

@granolagirlak

This survival story is tangential to backpacking (since they never got to do much backpacking!), so maybe it goes in a different forum here, but it may be of interest to anyone who uses an inReach. This free program was put on and recorded by the Fairbanks Paddlers group, and there are two presentations in this link. The second story is the one about the inReach and it’s a pretty amazing story. There are a few important lessons for people using inReach devices and going to remote locations. One lesson I got from it was that when your at-home person receives a call from emergency services, it will look like spam! They need to know that and not ignore it. I think I’d heard it before, but this story brings it home. Other good info too. And it’s a pretty astounding story. You can scroll past the first presentation to get to the 2nd.

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

Wow. Almost dropped the presentation when life got too interesting. Brought up too much from decades of whitewater rafting in the lower 48, which sometimes had it’s own challenges. Astounded he survived! The second presentation starts at 44:16.

Need to rethink where I keep my inReach and survival gear for backpacking. All too possible to get separated from my pack in many foreseeable situations.

Thanks.

— Rex

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

1- dont packraft on icy rivers, 2- your survival gear is what’s on your person, 3- emergency phone call to next of kin may look like spam

https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/tic-tac-pocket-survival-kit-what-would-you-include-exclude/

BC Bob
    Spectator

@bcbob

Locale: Vancouver Island

Need to rethink where I keep my inReach and survival gear for backpacking. All too possible to get separated from my pack in many foreseeable situations.

I keep my Inreach mini on a line around my neck in case I get separated from my pack.  That also keeps it from getting bonked and banged up.  And probably doesn’t hurt to keep the battery warm. It’s so light I forget it’s there.

Bob Kerner
    BPL Member

@bob-kerner

A couple of red flags:

1. Our original plan was…..but this is what actually happened. Changing plans like that makes it harder for people to find you, particularly if you left a hiking or float plan that was A > B, now you’re doing something different.

2. No comm or signaling device on his person. I think this is a fundamental rule of paddling: If it’s not on you, you don’t have it.  I find this a bit astonishing from a person who seems to have done this sort of trip before.

Good things: he didn’t loose his will to survive, knew to keep moving to warm up.

At 1:15 mins, the text message to “Call the rescue services” should concern all of us. When you hit the inReach SOS button you’re not communicating directly with a rescuer. If you were really injured, would you be able to muster the energy to make additional phone calls?

There’s difference between an inReach and an EPIRB like an Ocean Signal or ACR device. The last two might serve people better than the inReach depending on the circumstances. In the kayaking community the preference is toward an EPIRB or VHF radio that sends a distress signal and coordinates directly to the Coast Guard. Either way, you shouldn’t expect the rescue services to appear at the drop of a hat; you need a way to sustain yourself while they coordinate. Some people attach a ‘ditch bag’ to their boat or PFD with food, back up signaling, means to make fire and shelter. A higher power was looking out for this dude.

Arthur
    BPL Member

@art-r

Garmin is connected to IERCC.  Here are the two numbers listed on their web page. One matches the number shown on the inreach in the video.  It seems like a good idea to have your emergency contact to have both of those numbers in their phone with some title like (YOUR NAME) + EMERGENCY  so it is not interpreted as spam.  However, whether the emergency contact responds or not should no impeed the rescue process.

CONTACT US
    Emergency Operations (IERCC)

+1-936-582-3190
    +1-855-444-2937

CS
    Spectator

@covecs

That’s concerning how the IERCC just told them to call another number as opposed to connecting them through and offloading all the admin busy work. So you’re now fumbling around with phones numbers in the field, taking away time and focus from managing your emergency.

Josh J
    BPL Member

@uahiker

Thanks for posting,  great lessons learned and this just sold me on the inReach more than the others

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools